Ongoing USB [Conbee 2] issues with HA OS on Virtual Box

Been struggling with ongoing fails at USB devices, only happening with Conbee 2.

Intel NUC
Windows 10 Host
Home Assistant OS (5.12) running on Virtualbox
Multiple USB devices: Conbee 2, Zwave, Wyze

Following showing in terminal:

cdc_acm 2-4:1.1: acm_start_wb usb_submit_urb(write bulk) failed: -19
cdc_acm 2-4:1.1: failed to set dtr/rts

Solution: Home Assistant OS, Windows 10, VirtualBox and deCONZ problems

I, like others have struggled with ongoing USB passthrough stability with the following set-up:

Core Machine: i7 NUC, 8GB

Host OS: Windows 10

VM: VirtualBox

Guest: Home Assistant OS 2021.3.2

Issue was constant dropping (daily or more) of Conbee 2 stick that is feeding deCONZ natively installed through HA. Errors included:

cdc_acm 2-4:1.1: acm_start_wb usb_submit_urb(write bulk) failed: -19
cdc_acm 2-4:1.1: failed to set dtr/rts

Finally came to the conclusion that the issue is primarily the instability of VirtualBox handling of the USB passthrough of the Conbee 2. I believe this is the culprit, though an associated kernel issue could be as well.

Decided to install and run deCONZ natively on the Windows 10 machine, avoiding having to pass the Conbee 2 through the VM. Unfortunately, had to reassign all devices in HA but was well worth it to achieve stability. Most recent Win10 deCONZ ver. 2.10.2 works well with HA Phoscon/deCONZ and has been smooth sailing ever since.

Hi, may i ask how you went about doing that @sjmotew ?
thanks

Before i set up my zigbee usb stick ar ser2tcp, i had zigbee2mqtt running on W10.
However I really wanted to run it all on my HyperV, so i could have everything backed up in snapshots…

So i used serial2tcp…

For sure this works for zigbee, not so sure about zwave/wyze :thinking:

with zigbee2mqtt i was able to copy the database 1:1 from W10 to HassOS :yum: