HASSOS in Hyper-V - Is it possible to install USB Rediector or something similar for USB support?

If you are looking for a great hypervisor with native docker support I’d suggest trying Unraid. You will probably never look back. Plus it is widely used by the Home Assistant community so it is easy to find and get answers on that particular system. It is lightweight and pretty easy to use. (But yeah other systems would work fine though, this is what I would recommend)

1 Like

Both VMware as well as VirtualBox support serial ports & USB pass through.

Many of our engineers use VMware to run old software on usb2serial comports (as the programmer software is too old to be compatible with W10x64)

But yeah, Hyper-V totally sucks at it

I don’t think you will be able to install it on HASSOS. I use Ubuntu with the supervised install of HA. I installed USB Redirector on Ubuntu and the ports get passed through Docker to the HA container.

you probably don’t have to install anything om HA, you can probably connect it straight to tcp (at least for zigbee2mqtt)
You can even connect telnet to eltima and monitor whatever is tx/rx

Right now i run zigbee2mqtt on windows side, HA connects to it over tcp.
However, I’d prefer to run it on HA side, and connect to serial port over tcp.
As soon as i have some time i will check if they are compatible and how I configured it :wink:

Guys, thank you so much for all your info. I’m already using a VirtualBox VM; passing/filtering my entire USB device successfully to Home Assistant.

I was just curious how Home Assistant (and z-wave/zigbee) would run under Hyper-V in respect to Hyper-V. It sounds like I “might” be able to do this with the help of zigbee2mqtt (official add-on) and zwave2mqtt (HACS addon) without shell access.

Since the engineers here generally prefer using VirtualBox for their own personal (and development) setups over any other method, it makes the most sense for me to stick with what I have.

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

@mkanet

Promised I would get back to you once I moved my Zigbee2mqtt server from windows to HassOS using my Eltima virtual port over LAN.

How?

On Windows10:

• CC2531 hardware is connected to USB (COM8)
  • Eltima setup as comport server on TCP port 5656, with settings com8, real port, 115200 baud ,No parity,8 data bits ,1 stop bit

On HassOS (running under Hyper-V on the same W10 machine)

serial:
  port: 'tcp://192.168.1.22:5656'

I also copied the database.db from windows to HassOS share\zigbee2mqtt\database.db, so I did not have to re-pair all my devices again :innocent:

Major advantage by having zigbee2mqtt (including its configuration) on HassOS is that it is now included in HassOS snapshot, making the maintenance & recovery a hell of a lot easier :eyes:

PS: ofc you also need an mqtt-broker

3 Likes

Thanks @aceindy. Glad you got it working. I’ll be sure to lookup your post when/if I migrate to HASSOS in Hyper-V. I’ll also have to do something similar with Zwave2m2tt as well. I don’t think my current HUSBZB-1 (which includes both zigbee and zwave radios) is compatible with either zigbee2mqtt or zwave2mqtt though.

aceindy, it seems you got this to work and its prompting me to start down the HA path to replace ST.

To be clear, which software did you use from Eltima? ( Virtual Serial Port Driver, Serial over Ethernet Connector, or USB Network Gate) It seems all three of these could work.

I’m also looking at com0com which it seems Eltima took the free version of, changed some stuff, and started charging for.

I use Eltima’s virtual serial port (I just happened to have a license laying around) If i remember correctly, it is also possible to use netburner virtual port for free (which is eltima) it is only stuck at 9600 baud
But yeah, any serial over tcp interface would do :wink:

Also see earlier post

I think VSP3 is still free :wink:

I think I’ve run into a wall created by the dongle I bought. I have the [HUSBZB-1 (Z-Wave & Zigbee USB Adapter) which is not compatible with zigbee2mqtt. It looks like the new Zigbee implementation might support this, but I haven’t figured out how to even install that yet.

And there is no mention of getting z-wave to work.

I’m starting to think this isn’t worth the effort

@Jared_Heath I came to the same conclusion… since I also have a HUSBZB-1 as well. I also ran into a similar wall when trying to do this via WSL2 on Windows 10. WSL2 doesn’t support USB devices yet. I’m currently using the Home Assistant VM on Virtualbox… passing my HUSBZB-1 via the Virtualbox USB Filter. I may give WSL2 a shot once they have official support for USB devices.

Thanks to everyone contributed to this thread (especially @aceindy ), I can confirm the Netburner works.

A couple of tips if you want to go down this route:

1_ The port that you are trying to communicate on with the Netburner should be opened on windows firewall. This is one of those simple tasks that you do not pay attention to and it gives you a painful headache :slight_smile:

2_ As it has been mentioned above the virtual port should be created as a server. Also make sure that you use the correct USB Com port. In my case it was on Com4 .I attached a screenshot of mine. Hope that helps

3_ Most definitely you will see some issues with regards to communication between different components, make sure you look at this URL before anywhere else (well, I am talking about the zigbee2mqtt to be more specific): https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/information/FAQ.html#help-zigbee2mqtt-fails-to-start

1 Like

@aryankids Great to hear it works.

Btw…you can also use telnet on the TCP port to monitor any activity; nice for testing :wink:

Still working stable with Netburner?

For me yes…no stability issues whatsoever :yum:

How did you find which COM port to use? By me also by devices it says by other devices, no drivers installed. Is that normal?

Guys do i need to install first some drivers for CC2531 on Windows before use netburner or other apps like that?

@Himdola Yes, if I remember correctly, the CC2531 needs to be flashed --> https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/information/flashing_the_cc2531.html

After that it will be visible as an ordinary serial port in the device list:

So I shared com8 with netburn over tcp port 5008,
and configured zigbee2mqtt’s serial port as:

"serial": {
    "port": "tcp://192.168.1.18:5008"
  },

(share/zigbee2mqtt/configuration.yaml)

I did already flashed that but windows can’t find any drivers for it.

afbeelding

Hmm…yeah I remember vaguely some people having issues…
I believe my drivers came along with the flashing software, but maybe try one of these ??

For anyone trying to flash a CC2531 with TI SmartRF Flash programmer software and a smartRF04 programmer, you may need the updated 64-bit windows drivers (swrc212a.zip):
SWRC212 Driver or library | TI.com
(how to flash the CC2531 · Issue #3 · zigbeer/zigbee-shepherd · GitHub)

or

or
CC2531EMK: windows 10 creators update driver - Zigbee & Thread forum - Zigbee & Thread - TI E2E support forums

1 Like