Only allow automation to trigger once a day?

I am looking to setup an automation that will basically turn on my tv (with a google tv) attached and open an iptv app linked to my tv tuner (which will start a channel). The trigger is a hue motion sensor. I have the automation working but i only want this to run in the morning only when i go into my kitchen before work. Whats the best way to only allow this automation run once a day?

cheers

id: '1643570261869'
alias: play tv in the kitchen in the morning when sensor sees me
description: ''
trigger:
  - type: motion
    platform: device
    device_id: 7a19b2c869a28edaf40ba6c0d0d1a925
    entity_id: binary_sensor.kitchen_sensor_motion
    domain: binary_sensor
condition:
  - condition: time
    after: '05:00:00'
    before: '09:30:00'
action:
  - service: remote.send_command
    data:
      device: kitchen tv
      command: power
    target:
      device_id: 1276592bc45474738b30066b2516c4f0
  - service: androidtv.adb_command
    data:
      command: am force-stop de.cyberdream.iptv.tv.player
    target:
      device_id: 1276592bc45474738b30066b2516c4f0
  - delay:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 0
      seconds: 0
      milliseconds: 500
  - service: media_player.select_source
    data:
      source: de.cyberdream.iptv.tv.player
    target:
      entity_id: media_player.kitchen_gtv
mode: restart

There will be a better answer than this, but I think you could set the mode to ā€˜singleā€™ and then add a 5 hour delay at the end. This would prevent the automation being able to run again until the next day.

4 Likes

Here is a condition I use to prevent an specific automation from running if itā€™s been run in the last 9 hours, should be able to adapt to your use case.

- condition: template
    value_template: >-
      {% if as_timestamp(now()) | int -
 as_timestamp(states.automation.YOUR_AUTOMATION.attributes.last_triggered)
      | int > 32400 %} true {% else %} false {% endif %}
4 Likes

Easiest way Iā€™ve found is to use the last triggered attribute from the automation in a condition template, like this:

# Only run if more than 6 hours (21,600 sec) since it last ran
    value_template: '{{(as_timestamp(now()) - as_timestamp(state_attr("automation.<automation ID>", "last_triggered") | default(0)) | int > 21600 )}}'

Full example:

id: '1643570261869'
alias: play tv in the kitchen in the morning when sensor sees me
trigger:
    device_id: 7a19b2c869a28edaf40ba6c0d0d1a925
    entity_id: binary_sensor.kitchen_sensor_motion
condition:
    # Only run if more than 6 hours (21,600 sec) since it last ran
    value_template: '{{(as_timestamp(now()) - as_timestamp(state_attr("automation.1643570261869", "last_triggered") | default(0)) | int > 21600 )}}'
action:

You can select any duration (in seconds) that fits your needs. I just grabbed this example using 6 hours. Based on the first condition, the second condition should limit this automation to one time per day.
Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Thanks folks for the replies, I will give them a try.

Basically, you want it to execute its actions only if the value of the automationā€™s last_triggered is before 05:00 today. If the value is after 05:00 that means it has already triggered once today.

The condition to achieve this is simple:

condition:
  - "{{ state_attr(this.entity_id, 'last_triggered') | default(today_at(), true) < today_at('05:00') }}"

In fact it can be even simpler but itā€™s designed to also work with an automation that has never been triggered (the value of last_triggered would be None).

This is the simpler version but I suggest using the more robust version that employs the default filter:

condition:
  - "{{ state_attr(this.entity_id, 'last_triggered') < today_at('05:00') }}"
3 Likes

@ 123Taras
Thanks for simplified example. I will begin using this version from this point forward,

I am trying to achieve the same as OP, could someone help me troubleshoot?

I keep getting the following error message when I try to test the template condition

ā€œtemplate value should be a string for dictionary value @ data[ā€˜value_templateā€™]. Got Noneā€

my code :

alias: HP Theme
trigger:
    device_id: e913ed090d59830bf80f9dc10181960a
    entity_id: binary_sensor.lumi_lumi_sensor_motion_aq2_ias_zone
condition:
    before: '10:00:00'
    after: '08:00:00'
    weekday:
      - sat
      {{ state_attr(automation.1649509086176, 'last_triggered') |
      default(today_at(), true) < today_at('08:00') }}
action:
  - service: notify.notifier_pushover
    data:
      title: abc test
mode: single

In your template, you need to put single quotes around automation.1649509086176.

Thank you for replying!

I have placed it in single quotes, however the error still remains

condition: template
  {{ state_attr('automation.1649509086176','last_triggered') |
  default(today_at(), true) < today_at('010:00') }}

two questions:

1. when using the new test condition button released in 2022.4, should it come back with a negative/positive result?

2. are the identity IDā€™s interchangeable?
    as in can I use either the numerical value or the naming?

automation.hp_theme

vs

automation.1649509086176

You have a typo in your timeā€¦ '010:00'

Have actually triggered the automation todayā€¦ using the Run Action button doesnā€™t count.

There is only one actual entity ID. If youā€™re not sure what it is, look for it in the Developer Tools>States or Configuration>Entities menu. If you are going to enter it yourself in your template, you need to use whichever one is the actual entity ID.

You can instead use the this.entity_id variable as recommended by Taras above. Note that it does not need quotes because it is a variable, it will render the correct information in the correct format:

condition: template
  {{ state_attr(this.entity_id, 'last_triggered') |
  default(today_at(), true) < today_at('10:00') }}

thank you! I have it working!

I was focused on testing via the buttons and not actually triggering the motion sensor.

Hi
Iā€™m doing it for the first time.
Somehow it doesnā€™t work for me. Iā€™ve been trying for two days, but Iā€™m still making a mistake:

• Template warning: ā€˜as_timestampā€™ got invalid input ā€˜Noneā€™ when rendering template ā€˜ā€™{{(as_timestamp(now()) - as_timestamp(state_attr(ā€œautomation.1650378854495ā€, ā€œlast_triggeredā€) | default(0)) | int > 21600 )}}ā€™ā€™ but no default was specified. Currently ā€˜as_timestampā€™ will return ā€˜Noneā€™, however this template will fail to render in Home Assistant core 2022.1
  • Template warning: ā€˜intā€™ got invalid input ā€˜Noneā€™ when rendering template ā€˜ā€™{{(as_timestamp(now()) - as_timestamp(state_attr(ā€œautomation.1650378854495ā€, ā€œlast_triggeredā€) | default(0)) | int > 21600 )}}ā€™ā€™ but no default was specified. Currently ā€˜intā€™ will return ā€˜0ā€™, however this template will fail to render in Home Assistant core 2022.1

Test source code:
alias: Teplota bojler malo vody 01 // ID:1650378854495
description: ā€˜ā€™
trigger:

• platform: time_pattern
    seconds: /20
    condition:
  • condition: time
    after: ā€˜08:00:00ā€™
    before: ā€˜22:00:00ā€™
    weekday:
    • mon
    • tue
    • wed
    • thu
    • fri
    • sat
    • sun
  • condition: numeric_state
    entity_id: sensor.bojler
    below: ā€˜71.6ā€™
  • condition: template
    {{(as_timestamp(now()) - as_timestamp(state_attr(
    ā€˜automation.1650378854495ā€™, ā€˜last_triggeredā€™) | default(0)) | int > 21600 )}}

action:
  • service: tts.voicerss_say
    data:
    entity_id: media_player.obyvaci_pokoj_speaker
    Voda v bojleru mĆ” nedostatečnou teplotu {{states(ā€˜sensor.bojlerā€™)}}
    stupňÅÆ celsia. Å etřete teplou vodou!!
    mode: single

where is the problem?

I did this in developer ā†’ template

{{ (utcnow() | as_timestamp - state_attr('automation.control_study_lights', 'last_triggered') | as_timestamp ) | default(0) | int }}

it works. I would use utcnow() as all triggers are UTC. Notice the parens around the subtraction.

thanks for the piece of template. I have used it in my automation, however it doesnā€™t work for me and my log gets spammed up by repeating error messages which are as follows:

2022-04-20 09:38:30 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.template] Template variable error: 'automation' is undefined when rendering '{{ state_attr(automation.office_blinds_chair, 'last_triggered') < today_at('08:00') }}'
2022-04-20 09:38:30 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.automation] Error evaluating condition in 'Office Blinds Chair':
In 'condition' (item 2 of 2):
  In 'template' condition: UndefinedError: 'automation' is undefined
2022-04-20 09:38:30 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.template] Template variable error: 'automation' is undefined when rendering '{{ state_attr(automation.office_blinds_chair, 'last_triggered') < today_at('08:00') }}'
2022-04-20 09:38:30 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.automation] Error evaluating condition in 'Office Blinds Chair':
2022-04-20 09:38:31 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.template] Template variable error: 'automation' is undefined when rendering '{{ state_attr(automation.office_blinds_chair, 'last_triggered') < today_at('08:00') }}'
2022-04-20 09:38:31 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.automation] Error evaluating condition in 'Office Blinds Chair':
2022-04-20 09:38:33 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.template] Template variable error: 'automation' is undefined when rendering '{{ state_attr(automation.office_blinds_chair, 'last_triggered') < today_at('08:00') }}'
2022-04-20 09:38:33 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.automation] Error evaluating condition in 'Office Blinds Chair':

Here is my automation:

- id: office_blinds_chair
  alias: Office Blinds Chair
  initial_state: true
  trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: binary_sensor.office_chair_contact
    to: 'off'
  condition:
      after: '08:00:00'
      before: '10:30:00'
    - "{{ state_attr(automation.office_blinds_chair, 'last_triggered') < today_at('08:00') }}"
  action:
  - service: cover.set_cover_position
    data:
      position: 100
    target:
      entity_id: cover.office_blind
  - delay: 00:00:06
  - service: light.turn_on
    data:
      entity_id: light.office_led
  - service: switch.turn_off
    data:
      entity_id: switch.office_lights
  - service: automation.turn_off
    data:
      entity_id: automation.office_door_open_lights_on

Not sure what I am doing wrong?

You didnā€™t actually use the template I posted. You made a critical change to it (you replaced the variable this.entity_id with automation.office_blinds_chair) and thatā€™s what is causing it to fail.

Either restore this.entity_id or wrap automation.office_blinds_chair in single quotes like this: 'automation.office_blinds_chair'

1 Like

ah thank you that solved it :slight_smile:

Thank you
I adjusted it like this:

{{ (utcnow() | as_timestamp - state_attr('automation.Teplota_bojler_malo_vody_01', 'last_triggered') | as_timestamp ) | default(0) | int }}

I had to put an ID in place friendly name
Errors no longer report. But again, it doesnā€™t do anything. Iā€™m out of it ā€¦ :smiley:

Are you still wanting > 6 hrs? if so you need to add > 21600. Also the name should be all lower case. Teplota ā†’ teplota.

It should indicate that the temperature is low only once
I try it like this:

alias: Teplota bojler malo vody 02
trigger:
  - platform: numeric_state
    entity_id: sensor.bojler
    below: '70'
condition:
      {{ (utcnow() | as_timestamp -