Only automations in automations.yaml can be deleted

I have a case where my automation/dashboard shows automations that are now not in my automations.yaml and if I try to delete from the dashboard i get ‘Only automations in automations.yaml can be deleted.’

I have in my configuration.yaml … automation: !include automations.yaml

How do i Remove the listed automations from my dashboard ?

1 Like

Go to Settings → Devices & Services → Entities and delete the “restored” automations there.

so I now see below and cannot delete from the list , i cant see where in the files i can manually delete

This entity (‘automation.office_motion_2’) does not have a unique ID, therefore its settings cannot be managed from the UI. See the documentation for more detail.

Then this must have been created using YAML.

Delete the yaml and reload.

Delete the config/automations.yaml ? … the only automations in this are the valid ones , it does not contain the ones i want to remove so not sure how this makes a difference

have the same problem, tried:

• purging this entity - no result
  • deleting from automation - same error message
  • deleting from entities - Delete button is not active
    In automations.yml there is no such automation. What should we do?
1 Like

All of this didn’t work for me, but it got me in the right direction to solve it anyway. What I did:
In the ‘developer tools - states’ I looked up the ID of the automation that I wanted to delete (it was already gone from automations.yaml). Then I created a new automation that turns on a random light through the GUI. When I saved it, I opened automations.yaml and replced the ID of the newly created automation, with the ID from the automation that didn’t excist anymore, but was still in my automations list. Restart
At that moment, I was able to delete the automation from the GUI.

2 Likes

It cannot be removed from Entities because it is listed as read-only, and cannot be selected. If you click on the info icon it shows " This entity (‘automation.somename’) does not have a unique ID, therefore its settings cannot be managed from the UI. See the documentation for more detail." which doesn’t help much.

It should be simple to remove these deleted automations. (They were deleted after all!) Why isn’t it?

Or another approach: If these undeletable deleted automations are not listed in automations.yaml, then where are they being persistently stored, so that they survive a restart? I have Studio Code Server and Terminal installed. Please point me at where they are hiding.

1 Like

Never mind. Some time after the restart, theses undeletable deleted automations appear to disappear from the UI. (Why does it take so long?)

Creating an automation with the same name did the trick for me. Afterwards i was able to delete it and it was gone for good.

It looks like these automations appear when a new automation could not get saved properly and is closed anyways.

2 Likes