ONVIF camera not playing when clicking it open

I have two cameras, added via ONVIF.

First one is my Amcrest doorbell and works as intended.
When I click on it, it opens the stream full size.

The second one is a Hikvision.
The snapshot refreshes every 10 seconds, but when I click it open, the stream doesn’t start.
This is in Chrome:

I also tried in Firefox.
There it starts playing and I can hear the audio, but the video stays black:

The stream does work in the Android app though!
There I can view and listen to the Hikvision camera.

Any ideas how to fix this?

EDIT: I’ve disabled “preload stream” in the meantime, as it was killing my phone battery.

It’s probably recording with the h.265 codec, it’s not supported by stream in most browsers. Set a substream to h.264.

1 Like

It is, good catch!
I never realized browsers didn’t support h.265 yet.
I was using it so save some space on the internal sd card.

It’s supported by the browsers, the stream component doesn’t yet support them.

This thread was a tremendous help to me.

I’ve been able to view the Foscam onvif stream on one browser or machine, but not the next. Frustrating. Like HA Android app (works), MS Edge (works), but streaming hangs on the same PC in Chrome. Linux+Firefox, doesn’t work.

Couldn’t find a toggle for H264/H265 in the Foscam VMS desktop app, but then this reddit post got me there:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Foscam/comments/16kuxwn/foscam_x3_change_output_stream_to_h264/

Look for an option called NVR Model in the app or something similar in Foscam VMS under the camera settings and turn it on. For all of my cameras (I don’t have this specific model) once I turned that on it changed the stream from H265 to H264.

Turns out the setting is totally opaque and hidden within the NVR options. That convo also includes an API request for doing the switch directly.