Open-Meteo Solar Forecast

Thanks for your work on this integration. Mine is still underestimating when comparing to solcast. I’m using the recommended 0.93 effeciency factor

Solcast
Forecast Today 35.83 kWh
Forecast Tomorrow 34.05 kWh
vs
Meteo
Estimated energy production - today 25.8 kWh
Estimated energy production - tomorrow 25 kWh

What’s your setup like? Do you have multiple solar panels configured in the integration?

Edit:

Also note that the azimuth in this integration vs solcast is different for when it is <0 (if you calculated it [-180,180]), you’ll need to add 360 degrees: so, if you specify -175 in Solcast, it should be 185 in this integration.

Also, what is your actual solar production maybe Solcast is off? Check the energy tab to see if the curve fits

1 Like

+1 to that…we need to remember Solcast or Open-Meteo are forecasting (so guessing with science :wink:) on what might happen…
today was changeable where I am today and look at the Generation (green) vs Solcast Forecast (orange)…doesn’t make Solcast wrong it just means the forecast vs actual had a wider variance than it might…

1 Like

I have panels facing east (90 degrees) and West (270 degrees) so I’ve created two integrations and sum these. solar production was quite close to Solcast

I’m not sure what to do with this information. At the end of the day, it’s a forecast and YMMV. The issue is that I don’t have any data/diagnostics to be able to see why it’s underestimating and having this data would necessitate knowing your location (or at least your rough location), which is something I’m very much not interested in.

All I could tell you is I don’t have such an issue anymore and the data is fitting perfectly for me. Sorry :cry:

Hi. I understand and agree. I don’t know how to fix it either. Just pointing it out. Having some estimate is better than nothing. Thanks for your work on this.

1 Like

FWIW I’m currently on v 0.1.2 living in central England and I’m finding the prediction to be very good. I’ve moved away from Solcast because of the repository being taken down and I also found Forecast.solar to significantly under-read. So I’m very grateful for you putting up this repository, I use it to work out whether or not to charge the battery overnight.

1 Like

Can you test v0.1.6 please? I’d like to know if there are any regressions for you

This was my result with 0.1.2 with east and west. Looks good

Upgraded to the newest version can send tomorrow a new one.

Do anybody have an idea how to fix the primetime with 2 direction?

1 Like

Great integration. Way better then the default. And way better then solcast (after author just deleted everything!).

first question: what is the exact difference here:

• Estimated Energy Production - This Hour (kWh)
  • Estimated Energy Production - Next Hour (kWh)

Second question: how often is the data polled?

I’m not very sure what you’re asking here without just reading the sensor names. The first sensor is the energy production for the current hour (i.e., if the time is 11:49 it will give the energy production from 11:00 → 11:59). The second sensor does that but for the next hour.

Every 30 minutes

Wow what happened? I’ve actually contributed to the Solcast integration but only privately. I had a private fork I shared with him and he took some of my work for his integration. I think I got credited in the README but that might have been removed.

I am searching for a sensor that tells me the energy forecasted for the next 60mins. Would help my wife to decide if she is safe to run the dishwasher, …

Solcast dev got pissed of and deleted his complete user from GitHub together with his user here in the forum. So be prepared to get overrun by the people migrating to your integration :crazy_face:

I guess you’d want to check the “This Hour” and “Next Hour” sensor then but you also have power sensors you could use that give you data at 15min intervals (Power Now, Power next 15min, Power next 30min, etc). The irradiance is interpolated for regions that aren’t Europe or the US.

Poor guy got burned out I guess :frowning:

Yes, very sad. Just a few dumbass users are pushing open source devs to quit everything. Not a good situation at all.

I enabled the sensor „Estimated power production - next hour“ but getting an error now:

Einrichtung fehlgeschlagen, wird erneut versucht: unsupported operand type(s) for *: ‘NoneType’ and ‘int’

Can I have the full stack trace?

Dieser Fehler wurde von einer benutzerdefinierten Integration verursacht

Logger: custom_components.open_meteo_solar_forecast
Quelle: helpers/update_coordinator.py:312
Integration: Open-Meteo Solar Forecast (Dokumentation)
Erstmals aufgetreten: 00:00:00 (8 Vorkommnisse)
Zuletzt protokolliert: 00:03:19

Unexpected error fetching open_meteo_solar_forecast data
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/update_coordinator.py”, line 312, in _async_refresh
self.data = await self._async_update_data()
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/config/custom_components/open_meteo_solar_forecast/coordinator.py”, line 57, in _async_update_data
return await self.forecast.estimate()
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/open_meteo_solar_forecast/open_meteo_solar_forecast.py”, line 160, in estimate
wind_speed * 1000 / 3600
~~~~~~~^~
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for *: ‘NoneType’ and ‘int’

1 Like