Open (Thread Border Router) or Apple/Google?

Can we reliably use a SkyConnect dongle with the Open Thread Border Router plugin, or is the consensus (for now) to better use one from Apple or Google?

I just purchased a SkyConnect dongle, expecting the Thread only firmware coupled with the Open Border Router Plugin to provide a Thread Border Router (TBR). It does not work after quite a bit of fiddling and I got the sneaky suspicion that it won’t work today and I did not read the docs carefully enough

While carefully examining the docs, according to this guide: Matter (BETA) - Home Assistant. It clearly states that a Google or Apple border router is needed.

• If you are using Thread: Make sure there is a Thread border router device (Nest Hub (2nd Gen) or Nest Wi-Fi Pro) present in your home network.

And a bit further down:

To use Thread devices you will need a Thread network with at least one Thread border router in your network nearby the Thread device(s).
Apple users, for example, need the Apple TV 4K or the HomePod Mini, while Google users need a Nest Hub (2nd Gen).

If so, how can one find which devices provide a reliable border router (e.g., I’ve read something about needing Thread 1.3 + TREL support)? Are there lists of supported hardware, or of required hardware properties to look for?

PS The much higher usage of the Thread integration should have been clear giveway. The Thread integration is used by almost 25% of the install base (that reports usage analytics) as opposed by < 3% for the Open Thread Border Router integration.

I run it with just a SkyConnect.

There are a few tricks you need to know.
Firstly you need a iPhone or Android to commission a device to Home Assistant.
I only have an Android, so these steps are for this OS.

On the Android Companion App open Settings → Companion App → Troubleshooting (I think that is what it is called in english, but it list logfiles and other tools to diagnostics as description of the item).
In this next window click the Sync Thread Login Credentials (Again it might not be named exactly that, but close to and there should not be that many options and it should be in the bottom)

It should say either something with “Added …” or “Already using the same credentials”.
The trick here is to run it again and make sure that it does not say “Added …” the second time.

If it does then you need to clear the Google Play Services Cache, which might clear a lot of other stuff, like login to services and credit card informations for Google Play and websites and so on, so make sure you know you informations before hand.

The way to clear the cache is Settings → Apps → See All Apps → Google Play Services → Storage and Cache → Manage Storage → Clear All Cache
Now repeat the syncing of the thread credentials above.

Anotehr thing is you need IPv6 enabled and if you are on VLANs, then you HA and mobile phone need to be on the same VLAN. The iphone will disconnect from WiFi and reconnnect again, so make sure that it choose to connect to the right network when doing this (disable auto-reconnect to the other networks you might have available at home).