OpenGarage - open-source Wifi garage opener

Did anyone moved to ESPHome for the device?

I’ve used ESPHome from the beginning.

@talondnb, would you share your config? :slight_smile: Thinking about moving to ESPHome from OpenGarage

Sure. BTW, I’m using my own device and not OpenGarage.

# api:

esphomeyaml:
  name: garage_opener
  platform: ESP8266
  board: nodemcuv2

wifi:
  ssid: 'xxxxxxxx'
  password: 'xxxxxxxx'
  manual_ip:
    static_ip: 192.168.0.xxx
    gateway: 192.168.0.1
    subnet: 255.255.255.0

mqtt:
  broker: '192.168.0.xxx'
  username: 'xxxxxxxx'
  # discovery: clean

# Enable logging
logger:

ota:

binary_sensor:
  - platform: gpio
    pin:
      number: D2
      inverted: True
      mode: INPUT_PULLUP
    name: "Garage Door Closed"
    filters:
      - delayed_on: 10ms
      - delayed_off: 10ms
    device_class: garage_door

switch:
  - platform: gpio
    pin: D7
    name: "Garage Door Trigger"

sensor:
  - platform: ultrasonic
    filters:
      - filter_nan:
    trigger_pin: D5
    echo_pin: D6
    update_interval: 30s
    name: "Ultrasonic Car Sensor"
4 Likes

Thanks!
Yeah, I’m using my own device as well. Its an ESP8266 with an relay and ultrasonic sensor. Are you using an magnetic sensor or something to determin door state?

In OpenGarage software the ultrasonic sensor is used for both door state and car state. Not completly sure how to solve this in EspHome or HA yet

Yes, I have a wired reed/magnetic sensor connected to D2. Initially it was very fussy when triggered but the filters you see in the config helped this a lot and now is very reliable.

I use the ultrasonic just for presence detection now.

I took a crack at creating an actual configuration for the OpenGarage unit based on the ESP-WROOM-02 chip (esp8266-like). It’s a work in progress but you can find the yaml in my Gist.

So far I’ve only tested the Ultrasonic sensor and relay, but if anyone wants to take this and run go for it. It still needs:

• Binary sensor for cover open/closed
  • Auto Close
  • Buzzer Effects
  • Relay Momentary Press Button

This weekend I hope to spend some more time slapping features into this.

1 Like

@edwork @talondnb

I see that you have no automations done directly in ESPHome as per your yaml configuration.
Do you plan to add automations in ESPHome?

No plans to at this stage.

@makai

I may or may not add auto-close, but the rest can rely on HomeAssistant. At this point if both the garage door has been open for 15 minutes AND HomeAssistant is not running there’s a bigger problem going on.

However - adding some more logic for a binary sensor showing the cover is open/closed as well as a 1000ms toggle of the relay would be nice.

Any guides to make this using ethernet instead of wifi?

Hi, I have a working device flashed with Opengarage, wishing now to flash it with ESPhome.

My garage has a single “button”

• when I press the button manually (and door is closed) it opens
  • when I press the button manually (and the door is open) it closes
  • when its not open nor closed, pressing the button does the opposite of the previous movement (while closing if you press the button it opens, and viceversa).

Does your door do the same? Do you use a sensor attached to the nodemcu for door status?

I don’t use OpenGarage but I use my own hardware (https://github.com/talondnb/ESP8266-Multi-Breakout). I still use the standard garage opener button, one in the garage and one in the car but I do have the NodeMCU hooked up to allow control through HA and through automations.

I have a binary sensor on the NodeMCU to detect the state of my door, it’s simply a reed switch connected to GPIO.

12%20pm

yeah me too, from opengarage I just used the firmware

I’m interested in customizing the firmware from OpenGarage. I want to use a NO/NC switch for open/closed detection, but I’d like to use the sensors for car presence detection. I’d like to install the sensors near the car on the wall to aid in park position as well.

Problem is I don’t have any experience programming, and I’m not sure where to begin. I suppose I will need to purchase some hardware to start. Has anyone already done this perhaps?

@hiscorebob

I am going to install one of these this weekend. How far is your OG device from your opener motor and what gauge wire did you use to replace? Mine will be 6-8’ and I have a spool of 22GA, solid. I am happy to get larger gauge wire if that will make it work better.

Thanks for any advice!

Craig

My Device is about 1,5m away from the motor. I used normal speaker wire to connect the opener. No problem since then.

Very helpful. Thanks for the quick reply!

Has anyone wired in a temp sensor to one of these. Based on the new firmware it seems to be possible, I need to take a look at mine to see what pins are available.

According to the doc on github (https://github.com/OpenGarage/OpenGarage-Firmware/releases)
you should use gpio5.