OpenGarage - open-source Wifi garage opener

It’s funny, I had the same thoughts. I’ve been using OpenGarage since May, and it stopped working 2-3 weeks ago. Since then I’ve wanted to replace the cable between OpenGarage and the Opener, but never had the time to actually do it. I can clearly hear the “click” sound when I tell it to open/close

I’m seeing the same issue on mine too; but if reboot the unit i can access the web ui with no problem for a few hours. Im using FW 1.0.9

I’ve unmounted my circuit and plugged it into a phone charger in the kitchen close to one of my wifi ap’s and it works without problems. I guess it might be an issue regarding the wifi range of the ESP itself and signal strength.

I’ve updated to the actual version and put it back to my garage. Works right now but wifi signal indicator on web interfaces switches very often from good to weak. So I guess I have to improve the location of my access points.

@swbradshaw thanks for posting this diagram. I made a circuit board based off of this design that can be soldered with through hole components and so far it is working. I have noticed when the device restarts the solenoid triggers 3 times at about 1Hz. I am worried that if I have a power failure and then the power comes back on the garage door would open. Has anyone noticed this with their device?
Any help to solve this boot up issue would be greatly appreciated.

I replaced the cable between the motor and the OpenGarage Module this weekend (swapped the provided cable with a thicker one) and now the OpenGarage Module works like a charm.

Nice one!

I’ve made a multi-purpose breakout board for the NodeMCUv3:

It can accept a HC-SR04 as well as a DHT22 temp/humidity sensor, two relay outputs, etc. It also accepts four separate voltage inputs to a comparator for retrofitting existing wired home alarm sensors (see here: ESP8266 into existing alarm sensors). It accepts 12VDC 2.1mm input and has an onboard 5v regulator for the NodeMCU and relays (the 12V is for the comparator).

If anyone’s interested, I’ll be putting the EAGLE files up on github with a quick writeup when i have a chance. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

very nice! I’m just getting into ESP8266’s as HA sensors around the place and this gives me some good ideas. Keen to see more

Hi,
does anyone know the mqtt command for distance reading or open/closed message? I found online a set of commands for opening/closing and for notifications, but would also love to do a distance reading every x seconds.
thanks

Can anyone please help me with my presence detection?

car_presence:
  value_template: '{% if states.cover.garage_door %}
    {% if states.cover.garage_door.state == "open" %}
      n/a
    {% elif (( states.sensor.ultrasonic_car_sensor.state > 0.4 ) and ( states.sensor.ultrasonic_car_sensor.state < 1.40 )) %}
      Yes
    {% else %}
      No
    {% endif %}
    {% else %}
      Unknown
    {% endif %}'
  friendly_name: 'Honda in Garage'

With the above code as a template sensor, I get ‘n/a’ for the status in HA:

47%20pm

Current sensor reads as 1.05m distance and the garage door cover is ‘closed’. Even if I open the garage it makes no difference.

Thanks in advance!

I’ve managed to fix my issue with the following:

car_presence:
  value_template: '{% if states.cover.garage_door %}
    {% if states.cover.garage_door.state == "open" %}
      n/a
    {% elif (( states.sensor.ultrasonic_car_sensor.state | float > 0.5 ) and ( states.sensor.ultrasonic_car_sensor.state | float < 1.3 )) %}
      Yes
    {% else %}
      No
    {% endif %}
    {% else %}
      Unknown
    {% endif %}'
  friendly_name: 'Honda in Garage'

Adding ‘float’ seems to have done the trick.

Has anyone encountered freezing issues with their nodemcu and relay?

:slight_smile:

are you selling these boards?

No, I had 5 proto pcbs made, gave away 2 and used 2 and I have plans for the last one. :slight_smile:

You can get them made pretty cheaply, around $20 or so shipped (usually min of 5). All the necessary files (gerbers, BoM, etc) are on the github page.

There are a few changes I’d like to do to this design though, but as it stands, it’s all functional.

Did anyone moved to ESPHome for the device?

I’ve used ESPHome from the beginning.

@talondnb, would you share your config? :slight_smile: Thinking about moving to ESPHome from OpenGarage

Sure. BTW, I’m using my own device and not OpenGarage.

# api:

esphomeyaml:
  name: garage_opener
  platform: ESP8266
  board: nodemcuv2

wifi:
  ssid: 'xxxxxxxx'
  password: 'xxxxxxxx'
  manual_ip:
    static_ip: 192.168.0.xxx
    gateway: 192.168.0.1
    subnet: 255.255.255.0

mqtt:
  broker: '192.168.0.xxx'
  username: 'xxxxxxxx'
  # discovery: clean

# Enable logging
logger:

ota:

binary_sensor:
  - platform: gpio
    pin:
      number: D2
      inverted: True
      mode: INPUT_PULLUP
    name: "Garage Door Closed"
    filters:
      - delayed_on: 10ms
      - delayed_off: 10ms
    device_class: garage_door

switch:
  - platform: gpio
    pin: D7
    name: "Garage Door Trigger"

sensor:
  - platform: ultrasonic
    filters:
      - filter_nan:
    trigger_pin: D5
    echo_pin: D6
    update_interval: 30s
    name: "Ultrasonic Car Sensor"
4 Likes

Thanks!
Yeah, I’m using my own device as well. Its an ESP8266 with an relay and ultrasonic sensor. Are you using an magnetic sensor or something to determin door state?

In OpenGarage software the ultrasonic sensor is used for both door state and car state. Not completly sure how to solve this in EspHome or HA yet

Yes, I have a wired reed/magnetic sensor connected to D2. Initially it was very fussy when triggered but the filters you see in the config helped this a lot and now is very reliable.

I use the ultrasonic just for presence detection now.