OpenGarage - open-source Wifi garage opener

swbradshaw, Thank you for the work you have done. I too have set up a nodeMCU with the rayshobbygithub sorce code 1.0.5 (read up more on it features here)-> https://github.com/OpenGarage/OpenGarage-Firmware/blob/master/docs/OGManual.pdf And its working great on its own web interface and in HomeAssistant. Still working on how to make notifications work if I leave my door open after dark. Anyone got this working?

I do have a question on your “cover platform for OpenGarage”. What size is the icon/gif file you used for the Honda and Lexus badges? Trying to get a Chevy badge and BMW to show up, but think I need to resize them.
-David

@dfrosty I’m using the following configuration for an alert to notify me if the garage is open for more than 15 minutes (then 30, then 60). Your use-case for notifications at night isn’t the same, though.

alert:
  honda_garage_alert:  
    name: Honda Garage is open
    entity_id: cover.honda
    state: 'open'
    skip_first: True
    repeat:
    notifiers:
      - notifygroup

My gifs are 128x128.

-Scott

Does anyone have an issue where if they open the garage with their exisiting remote it doesnt actually update the status in HA. Today I did this and it got stuck in the wrong state.

Opened the garage in HA, the state didnt update fast enough so I used the normal remote to close it and then later when I checked on it in HA it said the garage was opened, but I could see from the camera that it was indeed closed.

The HA component polls the Open Garage device every 15 secs. Once the door goes under the sensor, it should update in HA within 15 seconds. If you aren’t seeing it updated in HA after that time period, I would access your OG device by IP address and see what the state says on that overview screen. If that state is correct, I would look at your HA logs (DEBUG) and see what the state says there. It should match.

Hope this helps.

Yeah I just tested it again today the threshold where it thinks the door is opened was too low, it might have been because I set it up at night? Its working good now though thanks!

Hi folks, I’m totally new at all this but I do have some basic(old) electronics skills. Am I correct that all I need is my laptop(windows) a USB data capable cable, a completed kit, and the proper software files and I can ,with luck, make this unit to use in my garage? I sure hope so, I haven’t done an electronics project in years b/c I can’t solder any more, this is fantastic!
Regards,
Dave

I’ve built a couple of these without any soldering. You can use the breadboard and some jumper wires. It’s not the prettiest, but it works.

Thank you for replying. I’ve got the parts on order!

I’ve recently assembled and flashed a couple of these things using the parts list and wiring info listed above for the NodeMCU v2 board. I haven’t mounted them up in my garage yet (so I haven’t tested the relay) but, for the most part, both of them seem to be functioning as I’d expect for the most part.

However the buzzer goes off on both of them as soon as i plug them in…and stays on until I unplug it. I’ve double checked the wiring and I think it looks the same as what @swbradshaw shows in the picture. This happens on both units that I’ve assembled and flashed.

Any ideas?

I haven’t heard that platform before. However, I am interesting in this OpenGarage app. I would like to buy one for my garage. How can I buy it? By anyway, thank you for sharing an useful topic.

You can test the relay without it being in your garage. Once you “open” the door, the relay will kick in and I believe there is a light that turns red in the process. Even if there isnt’ a light, you should hear a click when it goes on, and a click when it goes off. You don’t need to have wires connected to the relay to test.

As for the buzzer, I’m not sure. The buzzer should play a little 3 note tune when you power it on for the first time, but it should go off after that.

Read the first post - specifically the very first sentence. I have a link to their online store.

Hi folks, I’m having a little problem getting started:

1. I connected up to my windows laptop and the light came on on the esp.
  2. I started the programmer mentioned here and accidentally hit the flash button when the operation tab was highlighted
  3. the led on the board flashed a lot and the bar moved across on the programmer and the log said:
    Note:Detect serial port changed.
    Note:Auto MAP serial port.Port–>COM8

Note:Serial port connected.
Note:Begin find ESP8266.
Note:ESP8266 ACK success.
Note:Set base address success.
Note:Program flash success.

I do not know what I did, but now the led on the board is off?
Did I screw something fatally, brick it?
I think there must be more to this, but am at a loss as to what happened or what to do next.
If you all think I’m in the wrong place, could you direct me to find where I can figure this out?
I tried looking at youtube videos but nothing I saw there seemed to be right.
Thanks in advance.
Dave

@David_Vinch
Sounds like you just flashed the firmware that’s included with NodeMCU Flasher.

You probably just need to flash again but choose the OpenGarage firmware from the Config tab.
https://github.com/OpenGarage/OpenGarage-Firmware/tree/master/Compiled

Thanks Alfi33, I got the og firmware and put it at the top of the list in “config” and then went back to “operation” and hit flash. I hope that is correct? Here is the llog:
Note:Auto MAP serial port.Port–>COM3

Note:Auto MAP serial port.Port–>COM8

Note:Serial port connected.
Note:Begin find ESP8266.
Note:Set base address success.
The board led after flashing a lot during the process is now off OK?
I’ll look at the video mentioned by OP but if you can help with the next step I would be grateful.
Dave

Hi Alfi33, yes I can go to 1.20 , while there I type in opendoor and go to options.
This takes me to 1.20/vo which looks like it’s blynk and there I try to put in the device key
is that the same 32 token that they emailed to me? Anyhow I tried it and hit submit
and it tells me to check the device key and try again
I just had a new token emailed and tried it by typing it in no go and copy/paste no go
I’m doing something wrong but don’t know what.

In blynk on my phone it says device offline
I had the device set as esp8266 and now I changed it to node mcu and pasted that number again
and still the same answer

Thanks for your time,
Dave

I got mine working and was working well for about 3 weeks. Then I lost power and noticed that the unit will not start working unless I power it up without the relay connected.

So I have to power it up with the relay unplugged, wait for it to appear online, then plug in the relay.

This is kinda a PITA if I have to do this everytime I lose power. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks,

1 Like

@David_Vinch
Can you ping the IP of your OG (192.168.1.20?) from a PC on your LAN?

I got there and put in opendoor hit reboot
now both leds are lit solid
then I hit the options button and it took me to 1.20/vo
where I pasted the 32# token and I get “check key and try again”
in blynk I did have esp8266 selected but before I did the above I changed
it to nodemcu.
on my open garage it says new device wasn’t online yet.
I hope you can help!
Thanks for your time

ok at192.168.1.20 I go to the integration tab and select cloud and local then I put in the token blynk mailed me and use opendoor as key
and hit submit
successfully saved may require reboot
hit reboot
it still does not show up as connected in blynk
BTW in it own webpage it does react to my passing my hand in front of the sensor
I hope you can help alfie