Opening a different IOS app from within HomeAssistant Companion via a URL Action

I have tried adding a URL action to a button in HomeAssistant to open an IOS app via URL but selecting it does not do anything. I confirmed that I can open actual web pages this way, so it is an issue with the IOS URL concept. The specific app I am trying to open is RoomieRemote. I have verified that the URL (roomie:// ) works from safari to open the Roomie App.

This would allow me to put a RoomieRemote button on my HomeAssistant IOS interface to start RoomieRemote. (I have already added a button in RoomieRemote to start HomeAssistant). This way whether a user starts in HA or Roomie they can do room automation via HA and Media/Video control via Roomie.

Is there a way that I can do this or does the CompanionApp need to be updated to support?

1 Like

I’m having problems opening URLs if the URL contains any encoding. The URLs that I’m having issues with have query strings with %20 in lieu of a space. When I press the entity button nothing happens in the iOS companion app, but it works fine in a browser. The browser is launched if I remove the %20, but then the parameter being passed is no longer correct.

Is your URL encoded (ie have a % in it)?

Have you resolved the issue? I’m also interested in this :sweat_smile:

Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, I was able to resolve. For IOS, the special links for APPS must be opened with Safari. There is a setting in the IOS app to choose Chrome for the browser. I believe Chrome is the default. When you turn this off, Safari is used. Then the shortcut URLs open the appropriate app. Only downside is if you actually want to open a web page, then it will be with Safari not Chrome.

3 Likes