Openweathermap - platform setup error

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f3263eb5220> #<Tag:0x00007f3263eb5068>

Running Home Assistant in Docker on Raspbian on a RP4.

Originally I setup the OpenWeatherMap integration through the UI. I recently wanted to switch and configure it via my configuration.yaml, so I deleted the integration from the UI and added the following to my configuration.yaml:

weather:
  - platform: openweathermap
    api_key: !secret openweathermap_api_key
    mode: daily

When I restarted Home Assistant, I got the following error:

home-assistant   | 2020-11-13 09:28:51 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.weather] The openweathermap platform for the weather integration does not support platform setup. Please remove it from your config.

I see plenty of examples in the forums which imply that should work. And when I look at the Integration page in Home Assistant, I can see OpenWeatherMap. So, I went and removed the openweathermap integration from configuration.yaml, restarted Home Assistant, and got the following error:

home-assistant   | 2020-11-13 09:58:27 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.openweathermap.forecast_update_coordinator] Error fetching openweathermap data: Your API subscription level does not allow to perform this operation
home-assistant   | Reason: Invalid API Key provided

Which would make sense, since I’m not using a paid account. Except… I thought I just removed the integration! If I refresh the Integrations page, OpenWeatherMap is there again!

All of which leaves me very confused. What am I missing?

1 Like

I HAVE the same problem, someone knows something.
Thanks in advance

1 Like

Same issue here - maybe for some time, cause I had HA running without maintenance for approx 6 months now.

Hi, I basically had the same problem. The answer is :

1. make a note of your API key
  2. remove the Openweathermap platform definition from your configuration.yaml
  3. delete the OpenWeathermap integration
  4. reboot HA
  5. Go ‘Configuration’ >> ‘Integrations’ & +New Integration
    you will then be prompted to enter your API key (all other fields should be pre-populated) and if you want reboot HA again (just to keep things tidy)

For any further info. please see:

Spot on, I just carried out this process and my OpenWeatherMap integration is working fine once again with no errors in the log :smiley:

Cheers Morgan.