OpenZWave(add-on) on a slave install

Hello,

I’m using the latest hassos, one on a VM image and one on a R-Pi with the following config:

1. VM with Mosquitto installed and OpenZWave (beta) integration installed.
  2. R-Pi with Aeotec Z-Stick and with OpenZWave(add-on) & the MQTT Integration configured to point to 1.

My target is to have dev#2(R-Pi) be my zwave controller, the devices to be visible in in dev#1(VM).

Is this at all possible? I was under the impression that the OpenZWave(add-on) will connect to my MQTT server on the remote machine and OpenZWave (beta) integration will detect the devices.

Any assistance on how to accomplish this would be appreciated.

Your proposed configuration will not work. The OZW Addon only talks to the Mosquitto addon broker. It will not talk to your broker on the VM.

To do this you would need to partially reverse the roles and use the Mosquitto addon on the R-Pi as your main broker:

1. VM with OZW Addon Beta integration and MQTT integration installed. MQTT integration is configured to connect to host #2.
  2. R-Pi with Z-Stick and Mosquitto and OZW Addons installed.

The OZW Addon on the R-Pi will communicate with the Mosquitto addon broker. The MQTT integration on the host VM will talk to the Mosquitto addon broker and see the openzwave MQTT topics.

An alternative is to keep the MQTT broker on the VM, but on the R-Pi use docker and the ozwdaemon container, not the addon. The docker container can be configured to talk to any MQTT broker you want. However, be aware that if the ozwdaemon loses connection to the MQTT broker, it will shutdown the z-wave network, therefore it’s best to keep MQTT and ozwd together.

3rd alternative is to wait for the upcoming zwave_js integration, or use zwavejs2mqtt.

Thank you, I went with zwavejs2mqtt in a docker container configured to automatically restart. I think this is the best of all the worlds. and it’s not hard to manually maintain and ensure that I’m using latest version.

Sounds like a solid approach. It’s the same idea is running ozwdaemon on a standalone docker container.

zwavejs2mqtt will also allow give you the choice to use the upcoming zwave_js integration.