OpenZwave automatic installation fails on MAC / Libudev-dev not installed

Automatic installation of openzwave fails on my MAC OS (Sierra)
I think it’s because I haven’t installed libudev-dev as per HA instructions
The problem is sudo apt-get install libudev-dev doesn’t work on a MAC

How do I install this dependency on a Mac?

I bought the Aeotec Z-stick 5, and all I had to do was plug the USB stick into my Mac Mini, type ls /dev/cu.usbmodem* in terminal to get the address and then add that address to configuration.yaml

e.g.

zwave:
  usb_path: /dev/cu.usbmodem431

After that, i restarted the Home Assistant (which may or may not have been necessary). From that point, I could go to Menu, Configuration, Zwave on the Home Assistant web UI and click Add Node accordingly

Logs/errors would be helpful or else we’re just grasping at straws. Might be a permissions error with trying to install dependencies if you’re not using sudo during the launch/install…

I’ve just run into the same issue. Brand new Hass user (or, wanna-be user), trying to get it to talk to my Aeotec Z-Stick. At the end of my configuration.yaml, I have

zwave:
    usb_path: /dev/cu.usbmodem1A1211

But when I launch Hass, scary errors appear in Terminal…

2017-10-16 14:46:16 ERROR (SyncWorker_9) [homeassistant.util.package] Unable to install package python_openzwave==0.4.0.35: Command "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/bin/python3.6 -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/private/var/folders/3p/2_cwtyfd4x511lp4384x_tzh0000gn/T/pip-build-f6d7rj01/python-openzwave/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /var/folders/3p/2_cwtyfd4x511lp4384x_tzh0000gn/T/pip-hy48nr1h-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --prefix  --compile --user --prefix=" failed with error code 1 in /private/var/folders/3p/2_cwtyfd4x511lp4384x_tzh0000gn/T/pip-build-f6d7rj01/python-openzwave/
2017-10-16 14:46:16 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Not initializing zwave because could not install dependency python_openzwave==0.4.0.35
2017-10-16 14:46:16 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for zwave: Could not install all requirements.

And then in the Hass UI, it says “Invalid Config. The following components and platforms could not be set up: zwave”.

Installations were done with sudo. I don’t know how to get this libudev-dev thing installed, though, so maybe that’s the problem after all?

OK, apparently the problem wasn’t libudev-dev after all. In my case, at least, I needed to install python-openzwave. But that was a difficult adventure in itself. I first had to do

sudo /Applications/Python\ 3.6/Install\ Certificates.command

(as suggested here), and only then could successfully do

sudo pip3 install python_openzwave

And then launch hass, and my zwave component (finally) appeared! Hopefully this will help out the next poor sap who runs into this problem.