[openzwave] Can’t lock controller for command : add_node

Looking for help. I tried resurrecting two old threads, but figure I’ll open a new one since both are over a yr old. I’m running HA in a Virt. Environment, now Ver. 91.4 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Server, w/ a HUSBZB-1. Z-Wave is working w/ 5 nodes connected. ZigBee is working w/ 18 nodes. In fact ZigBee has been working great since the recent 90.0 and 91.0 releases!

However, I’m receiving the error below when trying to add another z-wave node. All z-wave devices are working, just cannot add. I haven’t tried adding more Z-Wave devices since 90.0/91.0, spent my time playing with ZigBee.

WARNING (SyncWorker_7) [openzwave] Can’t lock controller for command : add_node

What could be causing this / locking the controller? First thought is EZSP watchdog is causing a problem, but not sure how to safely and temporarily disable ZigBee to test this. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot or correct?

Is anyone else running 90.0+ w/ HUSBZB-1 and still able to add Z-Wave devices?

Make sure you have the needed libraries installed

All dependencies are installed.

I was able to add Z-Wave nodes previously. Strange thing is, my 5 Z-Wave nodes are still working! I just can’t add more.

Are you trying to add securely or open? If secure are you sure the key is correct?

Adding a open node. The new device, a remote, has been reset to factory per manufacturer instructions. I have another of the same make/model already connected and working. Just adding a second remote for another room.

Just thinking, I’ve previously edited my zwcfg_*.xml, to get my remote working, would this cause a problem?

BTW - I got my remote working per the thread here Use Graber z-wave remote (came w/Bali blinds) as 2 button remote?

Thanks for the help @anon34565116

Just realized that my previous post may sound like I got this working. Sorry. Shouldn’t be playing with this stuff after a long day of work.

I still cannot add a z-wave node.

This was referring to how I got my other remote working and need for editing my zwcfg_*.xml.

Any other suggestions?

Per the other thread have you tried the “Cancel Command” button then “Add Node” button after?

Sorry for the delay, I’ve been busy the last few days.

Solved!

I was never able to see the initial “Add Node” command appear in the OZW log. Opting to review the log in its entirety vs. short tail snippets, I saw the “Add Node” command actually occur!

What I’ve observed is that if you are to choose to “Add Node” while already in the “Add Node” mode, it will result in “Can’t lock controller for command: add_node”.

Sure. The “Cancel Command” would theoretically correct the problem. But, once I figured that “Add Node” was working, some troubleshooting with the remote, I was able to finally adopt it as a secondary controller. At first it was in Primary Controller pairing mode. Silly me!

I don’t think there is an error available if two Primary Controllers are attempting to adopt each other.

So far I really like the new visual feedback in 91.0 when adding nodes in ZHA. I think this would be great if this could be added in a future release in Z-Wave.

Thank you all for the help!