Options for Garage Door Opener?

Hey Gregg, thanks for posting this code. I’m trying to understand how to use this. I’ve been using the same setup on SmartThings for a couple years but that code is not portable over to HA. It looks like there is code missing in your post. Can you confirm all of the code that is used to do this? Also can you tell me once I get the code in those files, do I have to add anything to the configuration.yaml file to get it to use it? Thank you for you time!

-Alli

Its been forever since I used this code, but it appears to be complete. It requires a tilt sensor or some other open/close sensor (my tilt sensor is the binary_sensor input in the code) and also an external relay (switch.d12_garage_door_switch in my case - linked in original post with code). The input boolean is basically alarm on/off.

You could simplify the entire setup to just call the switch for 3 seconds. In my case, my door would open and if I forgot to disarm it, it would go off. So I added the conditionals and notifications to prevent operation unless disarmed. I always still have local control via a keypad at the door just in case (not tied to HA).

2 Likes

Hi Gregg,
I was hoping I could pick your brain if you are still active. I’m looking at the code you exported above and this is something I’ve been trying for weeks now to no avail. I just can’t seem to wrap my brain around some of the terminology so it’s creating extreme confusion for me.

Here is my ask and it’s only an attempt to make sense of the code in my brain, thanks for your time in advance:

a. Covers.yaml - Under covers: garage_door_backup (is this just the name of the covers ? But also, is it used to call out via “voice assistant” - of which the friendly_name would be the voice activated ?

b. I don’t get the alarm reference! I mean, I do I think but I’m not sure how that factor’s in with the garage door (unless the garage door is connected to your alarm panel/system, is that the case ?) and the alarm - if the garage door is connected to the alarm, I think I get it.

c. I don’t see any condition for “garage door is open” - or did I not understand how the scripts are functioning. I see a main_sensor listed, but it says “on or off” - shouldn’t it be open or close ? I’m lost.

I’m also just probably overwhelmed with jumping into this stuff, but I really want to understand how these things work/fumction for automation and do some really cool stuff.

Sorry to break you eye drums! If it’s too much I understand I’m just trying to pick pieces here and there.

Ok, enough of my OCD, have a good day

Here’s a little bit of information that might help. My setup was a little over complicated to meet my needs, but you may not need all of that and can simplify it.

a) Disregard the “backup” in the name. I think at the time I was transitioning from a different setup so this was sort of a backup. You can call it whatever you want. And yes, the friendly name is what is called by Google/Alexa.

b) The alarm check is just to make sure that my alarm (which is all built within Home Assistant - master on/off as defined by input_boolean.mode_armed) is off before trying to open the garage door. Otherwise, the alarm will actually activate once the door opens. Its just a stupid check really. Again, probably overcomplicated. The idea in the script is to first call the garage_notify script which says that if the alarm is armed (via a conditional), then send out a message saying so. The next conditional checks in the main script is if the alarm is on or off. If on, script stops, conditional is not met. Its assumed the notify script did its job. The door will not open. I used this order based on script limitations at the time. It may be easier to implement now.
Again, you could strip out those first two actions and get rid of the notify script altogether and still have functionality.

c) For the tilt sensor I have, on means open, off means closed. In the covers.yaml entry, the value template line is where the binary sensor is checked and the cover state is updated

In the open and close scripts the last three actions are all checks to make sure the door actually opened or closed. First wait 30 seconds to let the door do its thing. Then check the state of the binary sensor. For the open script, I check to see if its still reporting closed. If not, then script stops - everything worked. If so, then move to the next step and notify me. Same for the close script except the check is to see if the door is still open.

Hope this helps. I have moved on to a self-built ESP-based door opener since then that is way more reliable, but that’s a whole seperate learning curve.

Wow - Gregg, thank you so much. There is lots to download from this and it really clears my OCD to give it a try. Since, I’m at beginner HA level, this whole automation is a good entry point for me.

My alarm is not built with HA, I’ve got a konnected.io integrated boards with my traditional alarm panel, so it’s not stand alone. But I’m wondering, if that (since it does create a set of on/off switches and provides status updates) if that can be used in the alarm coding ? I like the idea since I have presence setup I could maybe incorporate the system into the garage opening. (OH GEEZ, my freaking mind is off on that damn hi speed train again) - I’m going for a walk!!!

Thank you so much - you really opened a HUGE door for me!!!

You’re welcome. Welcome to the rabbit hole!
Never used konnected before, but sounds like you could automate and integrate a lot of things with it.

Wondering if anyone is around still using this. I’m new to HA. I’ve been running Vera for years. On that platform, there was a handy plugin where you just gave it your tilt sensor and relay ID and it created a “Garage” device for you.

I’m having issues here. I’ve updated the above to my devices. However, I think something is missing. Do I have to include covers.yaml in my configuration.yaml file? How is the “garage door” device created so that you can interact with it in a dashboard?

Update: As suspected, this was a newb issue.

Yes, I had to have the following added in my configuration.yaml:
cover: !include covers.yaml

I also had formatting / indentation issues in my covers.yaml file. Here’s the corrected file in the event that it helps someone in the future:

- platform: template
  covers:
    garage_door:
      friendly_name: "Garage Door"
      value_template: "{{ is_state('binary_sensor.door_tilt_sensor_298', 'on') }}"
      open_cover:
        service: script.garage_door_open
      close_cover:
        service: script.garage_door_close
      icon_template: >-
          {% if is_state('binary_sensor.door_tilt_sensor_298', 'on') %}
            mdi:garage-open
          {% else %}
            mdi:garage
          {% endif %}