Options for Lovelace on older iPad (ios 9.3.5)

Thank you @Romkabouter​:wink: unfortunately I have tried this link but the answer is that HA is not compatible with my iPad even if it is IOS 9.3.5) :sob::thinking:

Did you try the app or safari? Are you on version 0.117?
After reading, I think the app is still not for older iPads, but safari might be useable.

I have some issues with 0.117, but will try as well when I have fixed them

In fact I realize that the app is not compatible but we can now load HA via our http://192.168.1.xx:8123 without issue.
But the problem that this 117 release does not support yet some ccs codes included in the majority of my lovelace :cry:

Ah, that is a pity. But being able to login is a nice step :slight_smile:

Working on iPad 2, but only standard cards, no custom ones.

1 Like

i installed home assistant via this image:

as i understand, i don’t run Home Assistant in a docker, so i have no easy option to access the root OS (which is Hassio?)

do i have any option to install firefox as a docker so i can access it via an old ipad3?
maybe someone can help me because im a little bit lost here, and i don’t want to redo everything again to install first raspian or any other os and on top the home assistant.

thx and best regards @all

Are you running an updated versions at some point recently Home Assistant managed to support old devices a bit better, so no need to fumble around with this solution anymore in my opinion.

The usage of a docker on itself has nothing to do with running HA,
So you can install the firefox-docker on any (other) machine.
Of coarse, if you already run HA on docker, it makes sense to re-use that docker.
Myself I run a docker on W10 for development purposes

No, but you can use TileBoard.

yes i run the newest hasio version but it don‘t work great on my old ipad via safari or the app.
as i said i don‘t know if i have access of the underlaying os so i can install the firefox docker, does anybody know how i can install it the right way?

nobody any other idea?

You don’t have access to the OS if you have used that image on a Pi.
For on old ipad, you can install Tileboard or AppDeamon.
AppDeamon is available as addon and you can build dashboards with it.
Tileboard is installed directly on the share folder, so make sure you have the Samba Addon installed.

AppDaemon: check addons
Tileboard: GitHub - resoai/TileBoard: A simple yet highly configurable Dashboard for HomeAssistant

If you insist on using firefox, you have to install that docker on some other machine.

What are the step by step instructions for installing https://hub.docker.com/r/jlesage/firefox on a RaspPi4 with hassos_rpi4-64-5.10.img ?

I have portainer installed, but have no idea how I am supposed to get the firefox one installed. I have a few old Ipad2s and this seems like my best option for utilising them.

Thank you!

I have also used that firefox, you can find instructions here:

I have stepped away from it however, I wanted kiosk mode and there was always an anoying toolbar and was often crashing.
Now I an using tileboard:

You could also use the AddDeamon addon, in which you can build dashboards.

My simple tileboard (it has two pages) in my livingroom looks like this with an ipad 3 from 2012 on ios 9.3.6

what browser are you using on your iPad?

I have some custom css though, but pretty standard

1 Like

Thanks Romkabouter,

Sadly my JS is not ideal, so I will try the FireFox VNC! I know there are instructions… but I have tried running them on every window possible and it didn’t do as expected. I tried installing the Docker container it was kept closing with code 0.

So if you have a spare 5 minutes… how exactly do I follow the instructions :frowning:

Where do I run the commands to install the firefox docker?

Many thanks and apologies for being a pain :smiley:

You have to install the docker on a machine that runs docker. Maybe a vm of some other (linux) server.
I do not know your hardware, but you can run the docker command from here:

Then, browse to http://your-host-ip:5800, where your-host-ip is the ip of the server you ran the docker command.

On that port you will have firefox, where you can browse to your home assistant server like in you own browser.
This is NOT firefox VNC! Like I said, docker firefox was not any good for me either, but it worked. Sort of.

What do you mean with “Sadly my JS is not ideal”?

1 Like

I am using RaspberryPi4 with the image from https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation

Not sure where to run the actual docker command.

What do you mean with “Sadly my JS is not ideal”?

• I looked at what was required and it seems to need to know a lot of JS to configure it. I am a JS noob.

You cannot run the docker command on the hassio installation, you need another server.
You can also check into AppDeamon, it is an addon for Hassio and you can build dashboards with it :slight_smile:

You do not need to know js for tileboard actually. Not more than to understand where you need to set the thing like { and comma’s.