Options to monitor both power outlets of a 15A receptacle?

That’s interesting! One of the reviews claimed it could be integrated with HA with Tuya Local; might be worth picking up to test.

After looking further… while it does say it has independent control, one of the reviews stated that it is not independent monitoring, so unfortunately this won’t work for what I want to do.

I did; wasn’t keen on wifi only, but I recently deployed an AP just for IoT wifi. Either way, it was similar to the Aeotec Dual Nano where it seemed like it would work, but couldn’t find any definitive instructions (wiring diagrams are a little above me; if anyone has photos or YouTube overviews, that’d be awesome).

Simple math aside. If the washer and dryer pull more than the breaker and wire are currently rated for it will trip or damage the wire regardless if shelly is in the mix. Don’t see your point. It’s why current code stopped allowing non dedicated outlets for major appliances and why each dedicated circuit must now be rated for 20 amps and wired with 12 ga wire (assuming copper conductors) . Even for your microwave.

No home automation device is going to fix a power problem.

@Morgon - this is directly from the shelly page so new devices should monitor power on both channels

can be used for two electrical circuits (up to 2.3 kW each) with energy consumption monitoring for each channel, overload, and temperature protection

Don’t have a wiring diagram handy but will work on it.

I base my story on the fact, that there is only one Power IN on the Shelly. It is not a two fully isolated circuits, but one IN, two OUT.
See this pic from inside:

According to what I see inside the Shelly, my mathematics do count. And yes, I’m an properly schooled electrician…

Why won’t two zen15 work? They have a low profile plug and two easily fit in a regular receptacle.

I do this exact thing and it works great, the gas dryer isn’t an issue either.

Here is a diagram for North America

1 Like

He is already running both devices from one circuit. (I am assuming it is one circuit since he didn’t answer my question), so if the breaker doesn’t trip now, it won’t trip with the Shelly’s inline.

2 Likes

Well, assuming, both of the devices are not going to use the full 2300W, yes it will work.

Let this just be an eye-opener for those forum readers, who would like to try connecting two devices to the Shelly, which actually do use that much power. They will run into problems… :wink:

Correct. Same circuit. Since it’s a gas dryer, both are able to run on the 110/15A with no problems.

1 Like

To clear up the claims made, please check this video that shows the power monitoring on both circuits. It monitors both channels independently. The documentation also shows that both channels are monitored independently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X96PoQ8H-dc

Wanted this to be clear for the forum.

There never is told, that this is not the case. I was only talking about the possible problems with excessive power draw, when two heavy machines are attached simultaneously.

There is no doubt about the two channel power monitoring :wink: