Organizing saved camera images in Hass.io

I’m using hass.io, I’ve set my system up to save off camera images in the /config/www/saved_images directory, it works great. However, I just ran a snapshot/backup of my hass.io installation and it took forever to complete. The resulting hass.io backup was ~200MB! This is because it is backing up all of my saved image files since they are in the /config directory.

I’d like to move those saved camera images to another location but I think I’m hamstrung by hass.io. Because in hass.io home assistant is run from a docker container I have very limited access to selecting directories with whitelist_external_dirs. I tried to set up /backup/saved_images as a whitelist dir but the configuration checker complains that /backup is not a directory (no access from the docker).

I like the idea of moving the images to a new location but there are two problem I can see:

1. The hass.io docker instance needs to be able to access the directory.
  2. I’d really like to be able to navigate these files via a samba share (using the hass.io samba add-on)

I found that there is a ticket open to allow /backup from hass.io. Is there somewhere I can look for (or better yet, set) the list of accessible hass.io directories?

What are my options here?

:joy: My backups are 1GB! And I don’t save alot of images!

Why? It should just be a bunch of configuration text files, right?

:joy: No! A backup is everything in your folders, all add-ons, all custom components, the database (can get huge!) And all images and stuff.

Oh, right. I offloaded my DB to another machine on my network. Anyway, my other backups before the saved images were like 9MB. I’d like to get back to that and I should be able to easily if I can just figure out a new landing spot for these camera images.