ORVIBO V70X/ Mixpad D1

Are you able to get into the bootloader or anything like that to flash a custom firmware onto it? I’m thinking tasmota or esphome?

1 Like

Amazing progress. Let us know if you get this test web app running please :pray:

Keep in mind this is basically an embedded linux system (or some kind of very very stripped-down android, and android is just linux but with a different root folder structure and some more sophisticated IPC). This is not the kind of system you’re going to be able to flash Tasmota or ESPHome onto (just like you wouldn’t be able to flash those onto an android phone or tablet), if for no other reason than the processor (RK3326 SoC, generally classified as an “application” processor) is much, much more complex than the simple LX6 (generally classified as a “microcontroller”) in the ESP32 SoCs.

I was able to get into the uboot terminal through a uart; this is basically the same as getting access to the bootloader in an ESP32 in that, from this terminal, I can do pretty much anything including completely reflashing the system. Getting root access is even more significant because it means I can just modify the parts of the system I want without having to start from scratch.

4 Likes

So I’ve been getting into retro handhelds recently and I couldn’t help but notice that the RK3326 is the same chip (4x A53, 2x? Mali G31) that’s used in e.g. the Anbernic RG351V and similar RG351* devices (but the V70X only has 512 MB RAM instead of 1GB). Those handhelds are supported by ArkOS which is based on Ubuntu 19.10. I’m sure we could learn a lot about this device and how to make use of its GPU from that project and its forks. It would probably also be helpful in getting this thing to run DOOM.

4 Likes

How can I request the update to matter.
Thank you.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6PDKC64?&tag=techsv-20

on sale at amazon today for $50.

also, I haven’t had much time to goof around with these yet (still in the middle of the overarching remodel that prompted me to buy these switches instead of ZWave) but will report back when I have some other updates. Right now it’s working quite well as a basic dimmer switch inside homeassistant using the Matter integration.

If you want to have your devices updated to the Matter firmware, email the Orvibo customer support address and ask to use the Matter firmware. They enabled it for me via my email address, so all three of my devices were granted access to the firmware.

After today’s news that HA now supports wake words, wouldn’t it be great if ORVIBO switches could serve as a microphone. Unobtrusive and present in every room, that’s just perfect. Anyone knows if it’s possible to run a background app of sorts and stream microphone input to HA?

1 Like

On sale again for $50 - might be a black friday thing.

I haven’t had much time to fiddle with these in a while

I picked up a couple as well, $50 is a steal for this hardware.

They are a bit deeper than regular switches but not terrible.

I updated 1 to latest fw and adb root has been disabled. I wonder if we could get unlocked version from them…

its back to $79 at Amazon now, but Orbivo now has it for $45

For those who have this installed and working. What can you do with it? Can I have it control other lights exposed in HA? Media control with Sonos maybe? Smart notifications? Trying to see if it’s worth playing with.
Thanks

2 Likes

Want to “bump” this.

Has anyone got this working in HA for more than just dimming the connected load? Their default (non-Matter) OS had a lot of functionality that would be great to expose!

3 Likes

bumping for the same…

Hello! Bumping as well :slight_smile:

I don’t know if you’ve already found the answer, but there’s a ‘check for updates’ in the menu, not unlike with a mobile phone. I was able to do it a couple weeks ago.

Installed one of these today. (Matter enabled) Very nice looking device around $50 USD

No luck with Home Assistant seeing it although it appears that it did bind to some matter app - somewhere.

it’s not so useful thus far, I was really hoping to use the touchpad to control some scenes, but alas, it’s not happening today…

sent tech support an email - we will see how it goes

UPDATE 1 did a test trying to add this to Google Home and Smart Things (I don’t really use either of these much) just to see - both give me an error that I need a hub to connect to this device…

I have previously use and connected some KASA matter enabled dimmers and I notices that Google home just saw them and added them - so I assumed I should be good to go in adding more devices… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

There is s sister app called Home Mate on the android store. Installing this app makes the devices visible on the Google Home app (in case that helps someone)

UPDATE 2 - the dimmer section of this evantually (somehow) appeared in Google home, I presume the error I am getting for a “HUB REQUIRED” is for the other component of the MixPad that controls scenes and other automations

UPDATE 3 - approved hubs as per ORVIBO

Apparently I need an approved “Matter Supported” hub.

Also tech support sent a PDF of specific instructions for setup of the MixPad which I am including here. For now I have disabled matter integration on both Mixpads (via factory reset)

I found a link to their instructions: FAQ

The second PDF is a non-public file which I converted to jpg so I can upload here. I hope it helps someone

UPDATE - Bought a Google Home Mini and it works fine now.
no smart scenes, nost on off and dimming - which I am ok with

Wow, can you believe it, first post for me in the HA forum. I made the switch to HA from Homeseer when we built our new house (got the keys 30 days ago) and already in the deep end with Matter on HA.

I am going to add in my $0.02 and hope this helps as I was able to get it working fairly straight forward with the HA iOS app.

I have 3 wireless networks (Setup with Unifi) in my house (IPv6 Enabled).
The networks are setup like this:
HomeNetwork.Primary
HomeNetwork.IoT
HomeNetwork.Guest

I have it setup like this so that all my IoT devices are kept in their own little happy place and reduces my attack surface for my primary network. The guest network has a much easier password to give to guests so they can use the wifi while they are over.

My HA server is hard wired, but on my primary network and all the IoT devices are on the IoT network INCLUDING the MixPad D1’s. I didn’t punch open ports yet, but did a reset on the switches and put them on the primary and they added to HA like a charm.

If you have firewalls (for the folks running on Docker or some sort of firewalled environment), this could be what is causing your issue to not connect.

I hope this helps and like I said, 30 days in and loving HA and won’t be going back to Homeseer.

I picked up a Mixpad D1 from Amazon because it was cheap and the functionality for the $ and matter compatibility sounded like it was worth a shot.

Did the initial setup and went through 2 updates, after which it had matter capability exposed and I got it added to HA somewhat easily enough. Pro tip on this part, make sure your mobile phone is connected to a 2.4ghz network before adding the switch. It seems to send the wifi credentials from the connected network on your phone

After getting it connected to HA, I was disappointed to see in developer tools that the only states I seem to be able to see is on, off, and brightness. Can’t see the current mode of Away/Home/etc., can’t see any of the scene selection, nothing that I can see that could be used to trigger off of.

I struggle to see the usefulness of this in a HA context beyond having the time and temp on your dimming capable switch that you want to control. Unless you don’t plan on connecting a load to it and instead use scenes to set a brightness level that would then be read by HA to trigger something. I think that’s the end of it’s utility with HA, and even that sounds pretty messy and clumsy.

The root shell / adb access talk above sounds pretty interesting and I’m certainly willing to crack the case open and solder some serial pads, but I don’t have enough free time to invest in developing apps for it. If there’s some traction on this project I’d love to follow along and see where it goes, the hardware certainly sounds capable.