OS update: Shutdown instead of reboot?

From time to time I need to shutdown my Raspberry Pi briefly for whatever reason. More frequently, I have to do an OS update which reboots it anyway.

It would be nice to be able to do the update, and instead of a warm reboot, have the OS shut down cleanly. It would save an extra reboot, and minimize the interruptions to automations, recorder, and all the monitoring HA does for me. Not having to re-initialize everything twice must be a good thing.

Admittedly, this isn’t a huge priority. But if there’s an easy way, I’d rather do one reboot instead of two.

You say you are using HAOS:

so… there is a shutdown function already:

… but the way you have written your posts sounds more like HA Supervised (ie: running on Debian or whatever)

You might want to clarify a few things…

Or you could do it via the CLI using the ‘stop’ command.

Sorry, I guess I wasn’t clear. Yes, HAOS.

I was talking about the situation where I get a prompt that there’s an OS update available.

If I click to do the update, at the end it does a warm reboot. That’s great, but…

What if I had some hardware change to make, and was planning to do a shutdown, make my change, and then do a cold boot?

With an always-on process control system like HA, where every reboot is an interruption which introduces data loss and requires extra steps to make sure everything came back OK, it would make sense to “save up” things needing a cold boot, and do them along with the OS update.

As I said, it’s not the highest priority, but it would streamline the process and reduce the need for extra reboots. Maybe offer a prompt after the update is loaded to reboot or shutdown.