Osram Lightify Icon turns black when switched on

I’m having trouble with multiple Osram Lights having their icons turn black when switched on. They are customized in the same way as other lights, using MDI icons. Not sure how to have the go ‘yellow’ like other lights do when switched on.

Capture

…bumping

Just checking in on this one again…

Does something need to be added to the .py file to report back the color state of the bulb and show that in HA on the MDI Icon? My LIFX and Yeelights dynamically show the current color of the bulb on the icon, would be great if the Osram lights could do the same rather than showing as black.

@fabaff & @andrey, any ideas?

In my case the icons at first sight seem to have a random color. I didn’t check the code, but as far as I see the RGB values of the bulb are used for the color of the icon. If you switch a light on using the color temperature, the RGB settings don’t change. This is the behavior of Lightify itself, you can check it with the original Lightify App too. So if you see a black icon, your bulb is probably set on rgb(0, 0, 0).

@Tekki, interesting point you make, seems to be that in the app the GU10 downlight bulbs I use have the RGB value set to Black as you have suggested (see pic) and this value can not be changed as they are tuneable white/yellow only.

I wonder if there is any way to change this value for HA to just make them appear as Yellow, like when a switch is turned on, rather than staying black.

eg. Can the code be adjusted so if an RGB value of 0,0,0 Black is returned from the Gateway, then show a normal Yellow colored icon?

I’ve forwarded your question to the developer of the Lightify component on Github.

Hey I look at this right now, and just changing the rgb value of the light when the value is 0,0,0 seems not to be a good Idear. It would generally kill the rgb value of 0,0,0 for all lights. Even those supporting it. I thus need to think of another way.

1 Like

@deisi thanks for the update. It would be great to have this working in some way to have normal looking yellow icon.

I got around this for the time being by making a template light.

- platform: template
  lights:
    doorway:
      friendly_name: Front Door
      value_template: "{{ is_state('light.door', 'on') }}"
      turn_on:
        service: light.turn_on
        entity_id: light.door
      turn_off:
        service: light.turn_off
        entity_id: light.door

The icon takes value of the rgb_color attribute unless that it too bright (as we don’t want an invisible white icon)

Yes @andrey, I understand that.

The issue as mentioned above is that the tuneable white GU10 downlights do not give you the ability to choose the RGB value in the app, so HA grabs the default black RGB icon that the Osram app sends outs.

The bulbs have a constant color which is not reported? In that case you can set it via customization manually