OSX Recent Install anyone (October 2017)

I’m trying to install and get HA working on my Mac. Nothing works as advertised. Firstly, the version of Python 3.6 wouldn’t work, so had to downgrade. Next the Hass command still doesn’t work without a restart of the Mac. I have (or had) a working YAML config file but now it doesn’t and errors are thrown for the Python, see later. AND probably it no longer likes a Secret file. Oh and the documentation links don’t work either!

Has anyone tried and succeeded recently or is the a waste of time on a Mac?

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/bin/hass”, line 11, in
sys.exit(main())
File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/main.py”, line 186, in main
skip_pip=args.skip_pip, log_rotate_days=args.log_rotate_days)
File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/bootstrap.py”, line 223, in from_config_file
config_dict = config_util.load_config_file(config_path)
File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/config.py”, line 117, in load_config_file
return load_yaml_config_file(config_path)
File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/config.py”, line 148, in load_yaml_config_file
conf_dict = parse(config_path)
File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/config.py”, line 134, in parse
raise HomeAssistantError(error)
homeassistant.exceptions.HomeAssistantError: Error reading YAML configuration file /Users/richardjohn/.homeassistant/configuration.yaml

I’m running home assistant on OSX. I’m also running it on python 3.6.
It’s been a few months since I did the install, but I do remember there being a couple of gotcha’s.
First, things go much smoother if you make sure the path to python is in your $PATH environment variable.
Second, I think it also works out best if you already have developer tools on your mac. I already had XCode so that wasn’t an issue for me.

HA works well on el capitan. don’t know about sierra and high sierra, but it should work just as well.

I have run it on both Sierra and High Sierra.