Other Tuya device support via Scenes

As can be seen in the documentation, the Tuya integration supports the following entity types:

Climate
Cover
Fan
Light
Scene
Switch

Now, Tuya has many many other device types and it’s not immediately obvious that Scene enables support for many of them!

In my case it was a pet feeder that I wanted to integrate into HA, so I did this:

1. Add device to the Smart Life app
  2. In the Smart Life app, go to the Smart menu, Tap-to-Run, “+”
  3. Select “Launch Tap to Run”
  4. Select “Run the device”
  5. Select your non-supported device
  6. Select the desired function (in my case Feed) and parameter (in my case portion number)
  7. The Scene (in my case with some Chinese text in the name) gets added to Smart Life
  8. Set up the Tuya integration in HA (make sure your Tuya password only has letters and numbers)
  9. The Scene shows up in the HA integration!

After that, it’s easy to rename it, add it to Alexa & Google Home and thus achieve HA & voice control over the device.

The scene creation in the Tuya app has a whole bunch of other options, this is just an example for my pet feeder, but it looks like time & other stuff can be used to trigger it as well.

Enjoy!

9 Likes

This is maybe a bit off-topic, but when I set up my pet feeder, the device (pet feeder) does not appear under the device list for “Tap To Run”. Did you have to do anything to get it there?

Thank you!

For someone with a noisy nocturnal chat and wanting to have this remote controlled this is a blessing

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply, no, I didn’t do anything other than the steps mentioned in the OP. Were you able to add the feeder to the Smart Life app without issues and then it just didn’t show up in the Tap to Run list?

What model of Pet feeder do you have?

The only options i get in Tap-To-Run is:

Motion Sensativity
Format Memory Card
Motion Alert

My model is PST-FD-BL3-C

I don’t know the model, but it looks exactly like yours…are you using the Smart Life - Smart Living app by Volcano Technology Limited? Tuya has several apps…

Yes im using Smart Life - Smart Living app by Volcano Technology Limited v3.23.5.
I have also tried with TuyaSmart with the same result.

Mine is this, just looks like a rebrand of yours: https://www.pni.ro/hranitoare-inteligenta-de-mancare-pni-mypet-pt035cf-pentru-animale-de-casa-cu-camera-video-wifi-3-litri-programabil-din-aplicatia-dedicata-tuya-smart-integrare-in-scenarii-si-automatizari-smart-cu-alte-produse-compatibile-tuya.html

Yes, it looks exactly the same. Do you also get the Motion Sensativity, Memory Card Format and Motion Alert options?

I tried to change region but got the same. Feels like firmware.

Mine is 5.1.5 (with no upgrade offered) and at the Select Function screen I get Motion Sensitivity/Motion/SD Record Switch/Feed.

Maybe it’s a region thing? Mine is set to Romania…

did you guys tried to flashed it with tasmota or checked which WiFi module is using? :smiley:

kvv wrote an article describing flashing esphome to a Petoneer Nutri Feeder, which can also be controlled through Tuya at https://kvvhost.ru/2020/06/19/petoneer-nutri-smart-pet-feeder/

1 Like

Hi, I could like to ask if this solution works for new Tuya integration?

Definitely, I upgraded and mine never stopped working, but the great thing is that since 2021.11 there is full support in the new HA Tuya integration for even my obscure pet feeder, I have its device entities in HA now also :slight_smile:

I figured out my problem. I need to click “Reload” after create new scenes.

There is another small problem, the name_for_user and entity will restore after each reload. I don’t know how to keep customization in HA.

Yeah, I just renamed mine in the Lovelace UI and left the actual entity names like Tuya sends them.

Hi everyone

I saw this and other posts, and so I went on and bought a Tuya IR blaster to control a far away AC unit.
So it works, it’s seen (as unsupported devices) by HA, there are scenes configured in the Tuya app and they work, but there is no scene in HA.
What am I missing?

Hi embcla, I was able to get it working by adding ‘General Scene Template’ to my Tuya API authorisation. Logged into iot.tuya.com, cloud → development → choose your project → Service API → click on “Go to Authorize” and then add General Service Template. I then went back to my HA integrations and reloaded Tuya. My scenes were then listed as devices and entities

1 Like