Outdoor camera suggestions?

I’m happy with my VStarcamera cameras as they were inexpensive and work well with HA, but if I was going to buy again and had a few extra bucks, I think I would go Amcrest like @StormStrikes because there is better support in HA for them.

1 Like

This is really great information. I will start researching the amcrest cameras. For budget, I was hoping to gt 3 - cameras for under 500 bucks… something like that makes sense for a security solution for me. I love the idea of running a local instance of zoneminder to capture allthe camera footage.

Great stuff. Thanks everyone!
CARLO

CAMERA
check amazon for HOSAFE 1MB6P HD IP Camera POE
$35 POE RTSP capable camera
they have 1.3MP version for about $40 and 2MP for $50. 1MP is good 6-10ft, 1.3 10+ft, everything else is unneeded probably
I had Ubiquiti ($100 each) cams for 2yrs and switched to these because of price and better image quality.

NVR/RECORDINGS/HARDWARE
-get cheap POE switch (wifi texas makes decent stuff, I use ubiquiti but plan to move these to dedicated camera switch)
-use motion or motioneye for recording (both python, motioneye is frontentd for motion and looks as good as anything. also works well. again I had Ubiquiti for a 2yrs and honestly like simplicity of motioneye over ubiquiti)
-i used zoneminder for 1 month but difficult install, unstable, and unfriendly interface made me switch
-i tried kerberos.io for NVR but install on docker was a pain. I believe this is based on motion as well but not sure
-I use jshridha/motioneye:0.35.1 docker image for motioneye

SOFTWARE
-RTSP from camera can be used with FFMPEG component
-Viewing security Recordings is done outside of HA but you can figure out a way to bring these in.
-Motioneye was good enough standalone and works very easily (recording cannot be viewed in browser, they download to PC or Mobile but this still works. You get thumbnail preview of recordings and can download a

WORD OF ADVICE
-motioneye has CPU requirements but you should be good with an i5 processor or better (i7 preferred, (4-6) camera have same requirement as single plex 720p transcode stream)
-block outgoing WAN of IP Cams (I dont trust cheap IOT gear/dont install the software that comes with them)
-the Hosafe cam time is wrong (i have script that ssh into them and change time on schedule but you may possibly spoof NTP server they look for I would guess). This is not big issue since motioneye adds time into recording video

6 Likes

disregard. missed the Wireless w/ SD card part.

Anyone have any thoughts on these:

http://amzn.to/2jJVK7v - ZMODO cameras at 25 bucks each!!

You can only use them with their app. I remembered looking into this for someone a while back and I found my post:

1 Like

which server, which machine?

Keekoon you can get for 45, and they work well: many commands with http and integrate well in HA

Highly recommend Wansview cameras. Im using 3 of them and running Blue Iris on Windows 10

I am currently running it on a HP DL380 G7 running 1.29 ZoneMinder (complete overkill). I was previously running it on a old HP i3 desktop and it ran fine as a dedicated machine but I am trying to reduce my PC clutter and learn some new things about servers/networking at the same time.

I run Ubiquiti G2 and G3 and is quite happy with them. G3 really has some improvements regarding size and picture quality. NVR is free and can be installed on both Win/Linux.

They are not wireless but have POE and can be attached to AP.
Working with HASS too

@frelev
Ubiquii micro is wireless.(with AC adapter)
I have seen 3rd party outdoor housing for these

@tmjpugh, Ah, ok. But isn´t the micro EOL?

Possible. not sure.
Still some availability

What about the new Ring Floodlight Cam? https://ring.com/floodlightcam

While it’s not cheap-ish, it fits mostly everything else.

I have 2 of these on order http://www.banggood.com/BlitzWolf-BW-SIC1-IP67-720P-HD-Wireless-Security-Surveillance-AP-ONVIF-Outdoor-Wifi-IP-Camera-p-1085200.html?rmmds=search

I plan on setting up a Zoneminder docker and obviously integrate them with HASS. Currently have 1x AVTech 357, it works well, but that was probably 3x the price of these units and without local storage.

1 Like

How are the 2 blitzwolf you orderd? Can you easy update the software?

I use Hikvision, works like very well.

Hikvision here also, On-board Storage and WiFi.

Does anyone one has issues with insects? I got ctronics 720, they are not that bad, though the night vision attract all the flying stuffs around, and of course triggers the motion detectors. My wd cloud does not stop spinning to record… It s quite useless as an alarm.