Outdoor motion sensor recommendations?

Yes I know this topic comes up endlessly, but there’s always hope for something new :slight_smile:

I need an outdoor motion sensor, or at least one that functions in extreme cold.

I’ve mostly given up on ZWave, it’s just endless hassles - I prefer wifi. And I want one that can be powered by an adapter in addition to batteries.

Anyone want to stick their neck out and recommend a sensor?

Philips hue outdoor motion sensor, no comparison. Best sensor i’ve ever used, both outdoors and indoors. Support temperature as well. You can them as zigbee or using the philips integration, i do the last one as it adds temperature support from what i remember.

Must have one outdoors now for 3 years at least, no sign of giving up. They are expensive but so worth it. Have 2 indoors as well, equal quality.

What problem you have

Have you tried Cameras for motion or object detection

can you specify? For equator people this may be 20C…:slight_smile:
And… agree with camera suggestions above, these are so cheap nowadays and add options to do picture/recognition too

1 Like

Philips requires a hub, right?

I’m in Minnesota. -20F is not uncommon.

The problems with ZWave were many. I’ve moved on.

Have been using Ring cameras for motion detection but the integration has stopped working reliably and no one is working on it anymore.

No, you can use a ‘generic’ zigbee stick (not all but most). and I agree…Philips is really good, not cheap but that is shown in the result.

You got ring. Why not use ring motion detectors?

Honestly id build something with esp8266 but if you use ring cameras might as well go all in on ecosystem.

The HA Ring integration has stopped delivering motion events via the binary_sensor entities for the cameras. So I assume the same problem with Ring motion sensors.

The Ring integration is dead code. Lots of people have reported this problem, there’s no response.

Although I’ve mostly abandoned ZWave I still have a couple of ZWave devices in use. So with Philips I’d have to add Zigbee as well, just for 2 sensors. [sigh]. I’d really prefer wifi.

Use an alexa skill

• create switch in HA
  • create alexa skill to off/on switch based on ring motion event
  • use this to trigger HA automation

EDIT

I would actually have skill turn it ON and have automation turn it off. Default being off and any time it ON HA immediately trigger.

Was thinking that Ring could notify Alexa, who could then text Cortana, and Cortana could say “Hey Google” and send an email to my Home Assistant server, which would then turn on the lights. But I’d already be gone.

Hello I have a couple of Philips Hue Sensors 1 outside 1 inside

The inside one stopped working after 2 years and just became “unavailable” tried resetting new battery came back to life then became “unavailable” again after few days

Using ZHA and a Sonoff Dongle E (just updated from P

I trashed the indoor one and now the outdoor one has started being “unavailable”

any one else experienced this or have a clue on how to sort

thanks

Nobber -

Do you have the SML002 or SML001? They just suck :frowning:

I have not been able to keep mine connected long term, the one that’s a bit farther from the Zigbee hub fails after about 4 days. The one that’s closer stays connected for about a month or so, but has been having issues with the motion / occupancy detection lately.

I tried both the Sonoff E and P, I forget which one I’m using now.

I just ordered some THIRDREALITY ones, hopefully they’ll work a lot better. Though they are only motion sensors, the temperature sensor on the Philips aren’t that good but the lux value is nice to have.

You can try this hack (I tried and it did not help with the further away device) and also read about others that have issues with them here:

Sorry I missed this, I have 002 which is the one that has stopped and a new 004
thanks for the reply

I have SML002 outdoor, not a single drop…and in the freezer at -20C a SML001.
Same with that not a single drop and has worked for at least a year. :slight_smile:
I have sonoff P, on channel 25. I have run both zha and zigbee2mqtt, has worked fine on both. Only issues is sometimes aqara temp/hum sensors can drop. But that is also quite seldom.

What are you using now? I’ve only used ZHA so far.

How far from your main hub are your Hue motion sensors?

I doubt I’ll try to get these Hue ones to work anymore. The Thirdreality ones are working well so far.

I’ve already wasted 20+ hours trying to get the Hue ones working - it’s tough when they work for 5 or 15 days and then stop working, as I keep thinking just try this one more thing, and then they fail again.

I also have 3 Sonoff temperature sensors that have been working fine for 10+ months now, and some are a good distance from my Zigbee hub - though I also have 3 of them that no longer work at all.

I have put my 002 one back into the Hue App and it works perfectly ;-(

hmm… well the coordinator is on the other side of the house(on second floor) from where the sensor is (freezer). Plus the freezer, is quite bad to have a sensor in it. Because of being always cold and also behind thick doors plus brushed metal. Hue motion sensor is so far the only one that has worked fine in that place. But I have a ikea smartplug in kitchen close to it and it’s connected to it. At the moment I use ZHA. Outdoor is in the backyard and more close to the coordinator, but still connected through a innr smartplug closed to that backyard wall. My zigbee network is quite big (53 devices), I have tried to put some smartplugs or lamps to fill out the house so all sensors are not too far away from some routers to connect. Still some sonoff and aqara temp sensors can drop out sometimes. *knock *knock, for now it seems to be quiet stable. No drops in a month or so. I think the network got better after I changed to channel 25.

I used zigbee2mqtt before, and I kind of regret of moving it to ZHA. Because of the easy way to update zigbee devices. So I might go back to that, but I don’t fancy to do the work to reconnect all again. :expressionless:

1 Like

And one more thing… at my parents house, they seems to have SML003 outdoor and in freezer. Much smaller network. That also has worked fine for them, no dropouts…Worked for 6 months now.
Even if sml003 is meant for indoor use, it has worked fine outdoor in cold(at the moment it’s -18C outside), rain etc. well it’s at least under a roof so rain won’t hit it straight.

1 Like