Outdoor security camera recommendations

I’ve currently got several Ring cameras that I’m working on integrating into HA but since there’s a good chance that I won’t be able to get them fully integrated or that Ring will make changes in the future to block this integration I’m considering replacing these cameras with some that I can integrate LOCALLY with HA and Zoneminder. At the minimum will be a doorbell camera and a camera to monitor the rear of my home (maybe bullet).

Would really appreciate some current recommendations since availability and compatability are both moving targets (especially lately in the US).

1 Like

Hi ,

I tried both Ezviz cameras and Hikvision nvr . Both brands are HA compatible and most importantly in a security camera they are very stable on their own .

I would recommend you check the specs of any camera before you buy it and also check the reviews .

Hope this help

Do both of these support http/rtsp streaming and local control? I see that Hikvision has its own app. Makes me a little distrustful. Ring has burned me out on proprietary protocols and memberships.

The Hikvision I have is an NVR which is not only cameras but full solution ( a bit expensive ) .

Both Ezviz and Hikvision can be added as Ip cameras , support http/rtsp and also have HA integration

I like that price for the bullet camera. I’ll have to pass on the doorbell though. I don’t have any of the accessories needed for the flashing and such.

Is this suppose to be some kind of retro resign for DIY or is this an actual certified product ?
Also do the insurance company cover my house if this thing catches fire ?

The camera is CE certified for Europe.
The doorbell is a DIY project, but works on a 5v power supply, so that shouldn’t be an issue :yum:

Amcrest, Duhua or hikivision. Use with as card or without.

I’ve tried every open source nvr and frigate has worked the best. I’m not doing security monitoring so I just needed 24/7 recording with ability to manage retention of video and review video. Frigate adds object detection which isn’t perfect but functions well enough that I replaced my doorbell with it and can catch deliveries and random animals. Requires coral tpu but doesn’t overload my pc

Will this work in conjunction with Zoneminder? My plan is to use Zoneminder for recording.

Yes but why

They both perform same function
Zoneminder has been around longer. Frigate is very new(about 1yr).

I’m working with Reolink Cameras. They have local person detection and integrate well with HA via the Custom Component. And they have a good value for a small price.

I looked at Reolink but I saw in the custom integration GitHub page that it isn’t working with HomeKit.

One of the primary reasons I started looking for new cameras was to be able to get a real-time image with HomeKit while I’m watching my Apple TV. Right now I get a notification but the image is from the previous motion event. It’s annoying. :rage:

I love my Reolink camera’s. I don’t use the custom integration, just using Frigate integration. I don’t have homekit or Apple TV but can those not just use an RTSP stream? (readily available with both Reolink and Frigate).

I know the reolink cameras are not HomeKit certified. I don’t know why the custom integration isn’t working. Just saw a recent issue on github. AFAIK Zoneminder will work with the HomeKit bridge so could possibly integrate them with HomeKit that way. The same might be true for Frigate. Haven’t really investigated Frigate at all.

After a little digging it looks like Apple HomeKit works with most h.264 streams as long as they are <1080p so I’ll have to add Reolink to the list. Any recommendations for bullet cameras?

My original plan was to use Zoneminder docker on my unraid for recording. I’ll probably stick with that at first. Hopefully I’ll be getting a Yellow next summer :crossed_fingers:. When I do I’ll be moving HA out of the vm on unRAID and into it’s own hardware. At that point I’ll probably go ahead and get the Coral usb dongle and switch to Frigate. Or might skip Zoneminder and use the Frigate-Nvidia docker on unRAID. Too many options.:grin:

I have 2x of the RLC-410-5MP units. I found them reasonably priced on Amazon.

I was looking at the RLC 510a. I think it must be an update of the 410. Same appearance and specs (as far as I can tell from the limited info on Amazon). About the same price too.

I saw a lot of complaints that the 810/811 cameras didn’t work with Blue Iris because of issues with the h.265 stream. One YouTube video recommended the 510a and RTMP. I don’t have any plans to use Blue Iris but still wanted to be sure there aren’t any issues with Frigate?

Looks like the 510a has some object detection functions. Just not clear if these are local or cloud based. I do all my object detection using frigate so my criteria was a camera that would provide an rtsp stream that i could use with vlc, frigate, Chromecast or any other video rendering device locally without the cloud required.

You make a good point.