Override push button switch

I’ve recently bought an Aircare Humidifier (Model 836000HB). The humidifier comes with two control knobs (see photo). The lower knob controls the humidity set point and the upper knob controls the fan speed (rotary action) and on/off switch (push action).

My plan is to override the built-in hygrostat and use a smart plug to control the unit. My problem is that when power is cut and then restored the humidifier needs the upper control knob to be physically pushed to start the unit. One workaround I found is that I can keep the knob continually depressed (with tape) and then I don’t have an issue when the power is turned back on. My question is, do you think this will have some unintended consequence? Could this cause an electrical failure? I don’t know enough to know what the risks are with this approach.

Thanks for your help.

Hey, I just bought the same humidifier; couldn’t resist the $120 home depot deal while my house is so ridiculously dry. Did you ever find a more permanent solution for restoring power to the unit? If not, I read through the manual and there is an option to hold down the power button for five seconds to ‘lock’ in the settings, so I’m assuming there won’t be any damage to the internals holding it long-term.

I haven’t tested it yet, but I agree with you that it looks unlikely that holding the power button down will cause issues. I wish that all manufacturers thought about DIY automation and didn’t build in unnecessary functions!