Override supported attributes

I have 2 use cases where it would be helpful to manually override the supported attributes of an entity.

1. I have a Zigbee RGBWW dimmer connected to a single-color light fixture. So the module has 5 outputs (plus ground) but I’m only using one of them. I’d like this light to appear with brightness slider only, without any color temperature options. I found that I can do this temporarily using the States page in Developer Tools by setting the attributes like this:
supported_color_modes:
  - brightness
color_mode: brightness

That accomplishes exactly what I want, so it’s now impossible to adjust color on this light. But it reverts back to its normal state after a minute.

1. I have a Mysa baseboard thermostat connected using HomeKit Controller. This thermostat is very simple, it controls heat only. But it appears with cooling mode too in Home Assistant. I’d like to remove the cool and heat_cool modes.
hvac_modes:
  - 'off'
  - heat
  - cool
  - heat_cool
min_temp: 45
max_temp: 95
current_temperature: 68
temperature: null
current_humidity: 35
hvac_action: idle
friendly_name: Mysa Bathroom Thermostat
supported_features: 1

Changing attributes in the Dev Tools States area only stays valid until the next sensor update. It is useful for testing triggers and conditions but if you want a permanent change you have to use Customize.

2 Likes

Are you saying this is already possible? The customize documentation you linked explains customizing a few attributes, but I assumed it was limited to those mentioned, such as icon, device_class, etc.

By the way, you can also create a new derived light entity if you want to keep current as it is. Template Light - Home Assistant

Nevermind, I tried it and it does work!

homeassistant:
  customize:
    light.neon_sign_light:
      supported_color_modes:
        - brightness
      color_mode: brightness
    climate.mysa_bathroom_thermostat:
      hvac_modes:
        - 'off'
        - heat
1 Like

Not only that but you can add your own custom attributes too.

It’s a very powerful feature that the devs hate. :slight_smile:

Use it responsibly.

1 Like

Awesome, this worked.
I was able to remove cool, fan etc. from a battery powered zwave thermostat just uses 2 wires to control a gas fireplace with auto fan control.