Pair Xiaomi Switch with Tuya Zigbee Gateway

I bought some Xiaomi Mi Wireless Switches (model YTC4040GL), and I am trying to pair with a Tuya ZigBee/BT/Wireless Smart Gateway (model RSH-GW006).

I haven’t even gotten to connect the gateway to Home Assistant yet - for now I’m just trying to pair the switch on the Smart Life app.

On Smart Life, I have set up the gateway. Then to add the switch, I have tried to add a ZigBee device and I have tried to add a BT device, both with no luck.

I have followed advice from this post that says I must hold the pairing button on the switch for 3 seconds, then press it every 2-3 seconds to keep it “alive”. This did not work for me. I’ve tried all I can think of but no luck.

On this site, a user says that they paired with a Sonoff gateway:

Using it with Homeassistant + Sonoff Zigbee Dongle + ZHA integration. Hold in the reset/pairing button for 3 sec, release then press the pairing button again at 1-2 sec intervals. Wish I had known this before as it would of saved me some time and head scratching but hope it helps someone else with similar setup.

So I guess the question is, can the Xiaomi Mi Switch be paired with a Tuya gateway, or is this a lost cause?