Paradox Alarm mirroring (using PRT3 module) PyPI

I’ve developed some code that will mirror a Paradox Alarm as a python dictionary using the PRT3 module. I will start another thread for how to use it in Home Assistant once that part of the code is in a state that can be published as an initial version.

Currently supported:

• get area and zone labels based on panel type
  • get area and zone statuses
  • update python dictionary with changes on alarm as they happen
  • arming and disarming of areas

This I believe is the minimum needed in order to start integration testing to HA.

To test you would need a Paradox alarm with a PRT3 module installed and linked up to a usb port.

To install it use “pip3 install pyparadox_alarm” on the machine connected to the PRT3.

There is a test harness that connects to the alarm, gets all the labels of all the partitions and zones and proceeds to set all the initial statuses based on the alarm panel in a python dictionary.

The test harness should also update the python dictionary with any changes as they happen on the alarm, i.e. zones open/close and area arm/disarm.

You might have to change the panel type. The default is an Evo48 that I have limited to 21 zones.

There are still some bugs that require attention so I would appreciate some testers to see if my success is universal.

On the development side I also require some help with serial comms as it is quite slow. I can only get it to work reliably doing one command at a time. As soon as I send commands in bulk, I sometimes loose some data, but again not a prerequisite for testing HA integration.

And as always, some advice and pointers on belts and braces would only improve the code.

Thanks

Paul

1 Like

You are the best! I await further sviluppie I hope will also be supported PGM

a question…but via LAN is it possible send commands to paradox system?

Yes, I will definitely get to it as that is what I will be using to open/close my garage door and gate. However, I want to get it working with HA first in order to complete my “Good night house” scene working.

For LAN you would need the IP100 or IP150 module if that is what you meant. I found the IP100 too slow, but that might simply have been the Paradox iOS App. The idea is to also support the IP100/150 in the future. There are other python projects that already have it working using MQTT.

If you meant, having your HA install on a different machine to which you will be connecting your PRT3. Then I don’t think so as I will have to write the code to expose everything on http which is beyond my capability at the moment.

Ok…i’ve IP100 and i use it with iparadox app for open door, gate and turn on the garden lights…
i’m waiting for news…thanks!!!

If you have any skills integrating to HA you might look at this repository as an MQTT alarm is already supported in HA.

From what I understand the IP150 is a little faster but was mainly developed to support SMTP which the IP100 could not support. So the MQTT library above should also work with your IP100.

I tried the first version and it works well, but does not handle PGM.
The version 2 is not compatible with my central (EVO192).
Unfortunately, this application keeps “busy” communication with mobile apps

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve been tempted to upgrade to the Evo192, but it sounds that I should stick with my Evo48.

Hi Pollie! There are news?

Hi Diego,

I’m stuck not knowing how to trigger an update of my zones/areas in a way that HA requires.

At the moment I’m just finishing of a new boiler compoment and once that is accepted/merged I will trun my focus back to the alarm integration.

It’s also silly season so free time is becoming a problem…

I do hope to have this done by the end of the year though…

Regards
Paul

Hi Pollie,

Thanks for sharing. Would love to understand whether all ok now for you via PRT3. Am just starting out with HA and need to make decision whether to buy PRT3 and integrate with my ancient DGP848 panel or rather opt for IP150, but this means newer panel and receiver as well.

Rgds’
Nardus

Hi Nardus,

Unfortunately, my home automation efforts ground to a halt as I got swamped at the office.

My view is that there seems to be more success and momentum on using IP150 and MQQT.

This is probably the route that I will take too once I can get back to this as my Python skills were just a little lacking to get the final bits working up to the HA standard.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

A solution would be fantastic. I am actually considering replacing my Paradox with a DSC, just to get automation going. Any integration to Paradox from Home Assistant will bring absolute joy to my little world… If you do get time to start this again, I would be very happy to assist with testing or anything else that you might need.

John

Thanks Paul for your insight and response, appreciate it.

Hi Pollie,

Are you thinking to continue imlamantation of serial communication with paradox evo?

This will be very good, I found similier on DaveOke did you see that?

Hi,

may I ask where are you with this? I too have a paradox system with ip100 module but have not managed to integrate it at all :frowning:

Thanks

@L3v3nt Sorry man, been busy with other stuff. I never could get this approved as I lack the python skills to get this up to standard.

I might try node red at some point to piggyback on the mqtt alarm panel

@kitus There are some efforts that use the IP150. Have you tried any of those yet?