Paradox Alarm System integration without IP150

Hi folks,

It has become quite clear that the IP150’s that one can purchase nowadays comes with the later firmware which apparently doesn’t seem to work with any of the solutions out there for Home Assistant.

I now want to take this a step further and rather read the data from the serial port on the board (I’ve got an SP6000) and push it through a NodeMCU and output via MQTT to HA.

I found this project on Github - https://github.com/maragelis/ParadoxRs232toMqtt

Has anybody had any luck in getting the Paradox alarm integration to work without using an IP150 in HA - with this project or by other means and if so, please enlighten us on how you did so in HA?

1 Like

Do you move forward in this project?

Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply as I only saw this now. Yep, I did move forward with this project for which I downloaded and modified the code for my own needs. I uploaded it onto Github and it is working great.

Hi, is everything working ok with this? I am about to install a SP6000, and I think I am planning to try your way.
Thanks

The integration has been working very well for me. Only thing is that I did notice is that after around 30 days, I need to cycle the power as for some reason, it stops responding. I heard some rumors related to a version of the Ardiuno core having a memory leak, but cannot confirm. I did check the code in and out to make sure of that, but besides that, all is good.

Thanks for the feedback. When you say “cycle the power” you mean just to unplug it for a few seconds?

That is correct. I haven’t needed to do that for some time now because here in South Africa we have constant power outages due to electricity loadshedding so I haven’t needed to cycle it.

Thank you for sharing your code. At the moment, I am using a “home made” alarm system based on zwave. I am considering moving to paradox. However, I am using the presence detection in home mode to do “stuff”. Eg. if someone enter the dining room at night turn on some light. Would that be doable with the paradox alarm? Do you receive an mqtt message when a particular detector sees something, even in home mode?
Thanks,
GV

@greengolfer, you do indeed. When a zone is triggered, an MQTT message is received that “opens” the zone and a second later another one is received to “close” the zone. I use this primarily to run an automation that if this one specific zone is triggered and my second partition (which contains outside motions sensors) is armed, my Echo announces that the outside alarm is armed and that I should disarm it before going outside. This is to prevent me from walking outside and triggering a false alarm thus causing the armed response company to send out an officer, etc, etc.

1 Like

May I ask, in the setup instructions you mention that we need 3 jumper wires.

3 jumper wires so that the ESP8266 board can be connected to the Paradox alarm system main board serial port. Must have female connectors on one side which connects to the Paradox alarm system main board serial port.

However the paradox SP6000 has 4 pins in the serial. Why you say only 3 and which one do you mean? (probably I have understand something wrong?)

Has anyone tried with Digiplex Evo 48?

Can one change the Panel ID and Password or are they hard coded?
My installation does not have the defaults thanks to my installer.