Parents: Baby monitor … any options to consider?

I’m becoming dad and searching for a baby monitor. I have no clue about baby monitors (yet).

Before I go and get a random device, is there anything to consider wrt to Home Assistant? Any product that integrates?

It definitely needs to work without HA, Internet etc so I am not looking for any homebrew solution with cameras and the like.

What’s will be challenging with a HA integration is that the video/audio shouldn’t be sent to the Internet, so it needs to be something local which is most likely hard.

Just curious, the parents among you, have you ever considered this or are you just keeping this completely separately?

Congrats!

A generic IP camera with ONVIF will get the job done by integrating directly with HA without any need of the cloud whatsoever. A couple of proven brands are Reolink and Amcrest.

I’ve used some cheap sonoff cameras with RTSP streams.
Then I was detecting movement by some tensorflow model and sound classification using YAMNet.

Video RTSP stream → movement detection, now I would use mmWave radar for it.
Sound RTSP stream → YAMNet.

Then whenever it detected cry it was sending notifications to phones and TV.
This was tricky because I had to check for multiple different sounds like for example animal sounds.

Basically you need to find some example of handling sound from camera RTSP and redirect it to tensorflow (YAMNet). Then send MQTT and consume it via node-red with some binary sensor for example.
You can find it all in examples.

Today you can use frigate for it.

And yeah, everything was locally, sonoff camera was with hacked firmware in separated vlan.

Here I’ve found something that works with HA out of the box (I guess)

1 Like

I’ll be a dad in a couple of months, and I bought Tapo C210 camera to use as a baby monitor. After couple of weeks of testing it works great, there is an integration to HA:

https://github.com/JurajNyiri/HomeAssistant-Tapo-Control

You can get an rstp stream from the camera and with go2rtc add-on you get live picture, it is pretty cheap (about $50) and has motion and baby crying detection, two way audio and works with HA localy.

1 Like

We have it separated. No reason to over engineer things. Settled to just audio only by putting one of the parents phone in the room with the little one and initiating a signal call (end2end encrypted). The phone we are having has the mic muted and is on the speaker so we hear when their is noise and which one (e.g. just dreaming heavy or crying). This solution indeed needs internet but the good part it works everywhere (big benefit for us) and doesn’t even need extra hardware.

baby crying detection doesnt work in HA

Could this be used to identify crying in an where white noise was being played?