Home Assistant Community

Parse an malformed JSON string

Hi!

I’m trying to create a template sensor based on a MQTT server topic.

It contains a malformed JSON string, like the one below:

{"SerialReceived":"{"circ":[0,0,0,-9,-9,-9,-9,-9,-9],"circdm":[-9,-9,-9],"ventdm":[-9],"vent":[0],"DHT":[25,86.5,0,0,26.16333]}"}

With this sensor I can extract the valid JSON part:

sensor:
  - platform: mqtt
    name: "result_serial"
    state_topic: "tele/sonoff/RESULT"
    value_template: '{{ value|regex_replace(find="{\"SerialReceived\":\"", replace="",ignorecase=False)|regex_replace(find="\"}", replace="",ignorecase=False) }}'

The problem is that sensor.result_serial is string, not a JSON, for HASS. How can I convert this new string to a JSON? I’ve tried {{ value_json|… in place of {{ value|… but it seems that the malformed string should be fixed before converting it.

PD: the whole part is an Arduino Nano that prints on serial the “good” JSON part. A ESP-01 with Sonoff Tasmota firmware acts like a serial MQTT bridge, receiving the JSON on serial and sending the string on a MQTT topic, adding “SerialReceived” on the beginning, but breaking the JSON.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes

Why not just use an appropriate regex pattern to extract the value you want from the payload?

For example, this will extract -9 from ventdm

{{ value | regex_findall_index('\"ventdm\":\[(-?\d+)\]') }}
0 Likes

Thanks a lot! This solve the problem, because AFAIK a string can’t be converted to dictionary inside value_template.

I’ve managed to extract 26.16333 of DHT tag with:

value | 
    regex_findall_index('\"DHT\":(\[.*?\])') | 
    regex_findall_index('\[(.*)\]') | 
    regex_findall_index('(-?\d+\.?\d*),?', 4)

I didn’t figure how to nest those regex on a single regex_findall_index call.

Cheers!

0 Likes

This regex pattern will match a positive or negative number, integer or floating point, with up to 5 decimal places.

-?\d+\.?\d{0,5}

To ensure it only extracts the last number in the DHT list, we use the following pattern:

DHT\":\[.+,(-?\d+\.?\d{0,5})\]

Here’s the resulting Jinja2 template:

{{ value | regex_findall_index('DHT\":\[.+,(-?\d+\.?\d{0,5})\]') }}

If you know the number can potentially have more than 5 decimal places, adjust the 5 in {0,5} to the appropriate value.

For future reference, this is a very handy tool for experimenting with regex patterns:

0 Likes