Passive BLE Monitor integration

As far as i remember, ble monitor does not use bluepy, but i will test it tomorrow.

Edit. Just tested. It all still works fine with the new version

4 Likes

Shouldn’t be a problem, take a look here at the requirements from this custom_component. Bluepy is fortunately not used: :slight_smile:

I too was having this issue. I removed and reinstalled the integration and it worked the second time around.

1 Like

Hey there, is it somehow possible to add the Govee H6125 as a led strip? Because thats a bluetooth only model and i think a lot of people would love to save a bit of money by only buying the bluetooth model!

No, I don’t think so, as BLe monitor is only able to passively read data. It can’t send anything to devices, and that is what you will need for a light. You might have better luck with ESPhome ble client, but you will need to figure out the comments to send to turn it on/off

Question-Concern.

I have a gaggle of ATC firmware’d LYWSD03MMCs and Govee BLE sensors all working beautifully. I recently picked up an INKBIRD IBS-TH2 (the one with humidity) for outdoors because I live somewhere that makes your face hurt in the winter.

I was able to get the IBS-TH2 working with active scan enabled.

HA is showing the Celsius temp as Fahrenheit - like 21.6 F for room temp. If I change HA to F, then it shows room temp at -6 C Can’t seem to figure out how to change it and I’m trying not to install Inkbird apps if possible.

And my concern - I don’t get is what active scan actually does and if by having it enabled, am I compromising the battery life of all my other sensors just so this one works?

I’m able to see temp/humidity/battery in the BLE advertisement. I think - still a bit fuzzy on whether the BLE Sniffer/Bluetooth LE Scanner apps are actively scannng? If so, what are we gaining by actively scanning?

Some sensors, like Govee sensors start sending more data after activating active scan. It is basically letting your Bluetooth radio sending a message “send me more data, if available” to every sensor, while passive is “only listening, without asking for data”. Govee only works with active scan, and active scanning is a Bluetooth adapter setting, so either on or off, regadless of the sensor you are using.

Where did you change the Temperature unit? In the BLE monitor settings, it should be put on Celsius, as the device sends data in Celsius. You can change the unit to display in the HA region settings to F

Important announcement about the future of BLE monitor

Home Assistant is going to add (improved) support for passive BLE devices directly in Home Assistant in the upcoming releases (most likely starting from 2022.8). For each brand, a core BLE integration will be developed, such that maintenance can be divided over more people, using the latest Bluetooth packages (bleak).

I’m working together with the Home Assistant devs to move sensors from BLE Monitor to Home Assistant core integrations. During the transition, BLE monitor will still be available, but it is likely that the core HA Bluetooth integrations will not work nicely parallel to BLE monitor. So my advise, when all your sensors are available in Home Assistant, make the move. The aim is to have all sensors moved into Home Assistant as core integration. After the move, BLE monitor will probably be deprecated. If you want to help moving sensors from BLE monitor, feel free to help. Check out the links below.

Some interesting links

Available as core integration

The following integrations are currently moved/developed as core integrations.

• SensorPush
  • Inkbird
  • Govee
  • Xiaomi
  • Moat

Not all sensors of Xiaomi made it into 2022.8, mainly the measuring types, like temperature, humidity, moisture, etc are moved. Others will follow later.

16 Likes

Great news - in a way. I do really like BLE Monitor as it is, but having it integrated directly in HA is of course even better.

Will the new HA BLE integrations support BLE gateway? I’ve currently moved all my BLE stuff to separate ESP devices running BLE gateway and do not use the native Bluetooth device on my HASS box at all.

Yes, the devs are working on ESPhome support to forward BLE advertisements. it might not be ESPhome BLE gateway, but probably something very similar as you now have with ESPhome BLE gateway. This would even allow you to make something like room presence detection. The HA devs are also planning to add HA BLE (our own BLE format) support and further improve it. It probably won’t all make it into 2022.8, but most likely one of the following releases.

6 Likes

Trying to add my Govee H5074’s. I see them but how can I tell which ones are which? There is no MAC listed on the device that I can see. Also, how often does HA poll them to pull temps? I thought I could throw one in the freezer and then know which one was which but it seems the temp never changes on the dashboard.

You will have to try e.g. by holding one in your hand. In the fridge it wont be able to send data, due to the metal of the fridge. I think it sends multiple measurement per minute. You have to turn active scan on in the ble monitor settings.

I figured it out which was which. However they only seem to update every hour or three. I do have active scan on but it still only updates every hour+. Very odd.

It is mainly due to the range being decreased by the enclosure of the fridge.
If you want consistent readings, you must have the BLE receiver at a few meters.
You can use an ESP32 also to improve your BLE range.

None are in the fridge, this is for the ones in the bedrooms and livingroom. These are all 3 at most 3 meters away (RV) from the HA box. When these sensors were connected to my tablet and the govee app they updated every 5 minutes no issue. The tablet and the HA box are right next to each other so it should not be a distance issue. I also just powered on another sensor about an hour ago and HA still does not see it. I am thinking my bluetooth adapter is not a great one. It is a TPLink BT 5.0 one but not sure on the exact model number.

If it is the bt500, and it probably is; it is not supported because of frequent connection failures. Just ordered a new one myself because of similar issues. Also see: Bluetooth - Home Assistant

Can you pinky swear you don’t deprecate the BLE monitor before there’s an esphome solution? :smiley:

Yes i will. But i know Paulus is very keen on adding ESPhome support, so dont be worried

2 Likes

@mhoogenbosch YEP bt500. Ordering a new one now. Thanks!

I can’t get the add-on to find any devices, manually scanning with bluetoothctl finds a bunch of them. I mainly need the add-on for the MiFlora support which worked find before the lastest update. Adding the MiFlora sensor manually using the mac-adress doesn’t work either.

Using a RPi3 and the official image. Any tips?