Passive BLE Monitor integration

Hi,

I’ve currently noticed that my xiaomi plant sensor is not sending me data (It correlates with the last update I made on 26.1., but I’m not sure). I have checked the BL status in the HA terminal and the interface is working and the device is oscanning without problems. The following status appeared in the log:

2022-01-28 12:41:59 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor] Platform ble_monitor does not generate unique IDs. ID m_Echeveria already exists - ignoring sensor.ble_moisture_echeveria

Any idea what to do about it?

I’m originally using the configuration in yaml, I commented out the configuration, but the status within the integration hasn’t changed.

It looks like HA has made (or tries to make) a duplicate of the sensor. Not sure why this happens in your case, but I would try to delete the sensor from the BLE monitor settings, delete all entities and restart HA. Also look for a sensor with _ 2 at the end. After that, try to readd it.

Thanks, you are right. I have deleted all entities. And now add one for test and it´s ok.

Hello,
I just got HASS setup with passive BLE monitor for my InkBird IBS-TH1 Plus.

1. I have seen a note on gihub to “contcat us” if onehas such device. If you need me to run some tests let me know
  2. the device has an history. Is there a way to pull it using passive BLE monitor ?
    Thanks!

Thanks, I’m looking for some BLE data from this device. You can check the faq how

Ble monitor can’t get old data, it’s just listening to data packets (with current data)

Ok, not sure if this is the right place but here goes…
I have a rouge iBeacon detected by Bluetooth Low Energy Monitor - its not ours because we don’t have any of them!
Some details:
50765cb7d9ea4e2199a4fa879613a492
It’s created the following sensors:-
sensor.ble_mac_50765cb7d9ea4e2199a4fa879613a492
sensor.ble_major_50765cb7d9ea4e2199a4fa879613a492
sensor.ble_measured_power_50765cb7d9ea4e2199a4fa879613a492
sensor.ble_measured_power_50765cb7d9ea4e2199a4fa879613a492
sensor.ble_rssi_50765cb7d9ea4e2199a4fa879613a492
sensor.ble_uuid_50765cb7d9ea4e2199a4fa879613a492
sensor.ble_cypress_humidity_50765cb7d9ea4e2199a4fa879613a492
sensor.ble_cypress_temperature_50765cb7d9ea4e2199a4fa879613a492

I’ve followed the instructions for getting rid of it but it keeps coming back as a device. I’ve also disabled all the sensors just in case.

Any one know how to get rid of it and ban it please?

Ta
Steve

1 Like

Or maybe add it to the map so that I can work out where it is :slight_smile:

Are you sure you have disabled discovery?

@beaj We have changed the load from iBeacon and Altbeacon sensors drastically. iBeacon can send up to 5x per second per device, and the state was updated on every message. We have now changed that. Temperature and humidity are updated only once per period (default 1 minute). Sensors like MAC, UUID, minor and major are only updated once they change.

I think BLE monitor 7.4.0 will use significantly less resources therefore.

Great. I’ll update and let you know how it runs.

Thanks ~B

I am running Hassio and have tried scouring the forums for a way to implement the “sudo” command (and other essentials like “apt”) but the most common recommendation is to reinstall HA as a docker or core.

I should mention that I’ve had a slew of issues with reading BLE advertisements with the Govee H5178 (aka B5178 in their native app). I even tried a replacement device. Other sensor models work just fine (i.e. I have a couple H5075 hygrometers that work).

However, a new issue has sprung up when I tried using a BT USB dongle as one of the troubleshooting steps. My H5075 sensors (the ones that had no issues) were no longer recognized at that point. So I removed the USB dongle - and rebooted Hassio once or twice - and now the hci0 MAC is “00:00:00:00:00:00” and doesn’t detect any devices anymore. I done royally effed this up it seems.

Do I really need to completely start fresh with my install? Did this integration “soft-break” (or hard-break) the BT sensor onboard my RPi3B+? I’m not sure how to proceed. The FAQ articles are not appearing to be very helpful for this particular issue.

PS - I noticed that @Thrileratplay has many projects for detecting Govee sensors. However, his projects distinctly don’t include support for the H5178 model. Am I the only one having issues with this model? Is it truly supported with this integration?

You seem to have two issues, an issue with the BT adapter and an issue with the Govee sensor. You need to fix the first issue first. First, do a full system reboot, this sometimes solves the issue of unrecognized BT adapters. So not a HA restart, but fully reboot the entire system.

Next, if it continues to show 00:00:00:00:00:00 as MAC, check that the BT adapter if enabled. Not sure what system you have, but google will tell you how. If that doesn’t help, please open an issue on github, where we will further investigate

1 Like

Thank you @Ernst. This is a cringy facepalm moment where I discovered the difference between a “restart” and a “reboot”. Everything works perfectly after a reboot. Much obliged.

Hi!

Is there a way to run this extension on an old Raspberry Pi Zero W (gen 1) and forward somehow the events to my current beefy Home Assistant installation on home server? Do I need to install full HA Core on RPi Zero, with web interface, etc. Or, could this integration generate MQTT events to be sent to my MQTT server?

I just need to cover my BT devices on another house floor and this integration looks like it supports more device vendors than ESPHome project.

Thanks for help,
Freemanix

You can use ESPhome BLE gateway to extend your range (on an ESP device). This will take care of receiving the BLE data and forwarding it to BLE monitor on you Home Assistant machine over WiFi, as is. In this way, BLE monitor will take care of the parsing of the data, supporting all sensors, and not ESPhome.

I’m still seeing a lot of state changes and high CPU usage.

This was about 5 mins after a reboot. This system (rpi3b) has an in-memory db so runs out of memory after about an hour at his rate of logging. I plan to exclude the sensors from the recorder but need visibility on how the system is running atm.

I’ll update an rpi3b+ and see if that behaves the same.

~B

That’s strange, only measured_power and uuid sensor have these high number of state changes? Not the temperature, humidity, major and minor sensors and the MAC sensor?

In the first minute after the restart, I will update every message, but after the first minute, it should get back to once per period. Is there a way to check?

I’ll leave it running longer and collect state counts over time. Currently I query the DB every 10 minutes for these statistics but I’ll drop that down to every 5 mins - Don’t want to add too much to the resource usage with the monitoring though.

~B

I have re-enabled the integration for 30 mins and the uuid sensor had ~13000 state changes during this time.

How did you create this table? Will try to replicate it on my system.