Passive BLE Monitor integration

Absolutely, but it’s clear that it’s a long way off, if it arrives at all. For now, it’s not suitable for my requirements as I’m drowning in unhealthy plant notifications (see below). I’ll stick with your amazing component for now.

Same here, have you found a way to fix it?

I would wait till the September release, there are a lot of improvements coming up, both for Bluetooth and for supported sensors, including support for HA BLE / BThome format. It looks like you have flashed it with ATC firmware, so in the September release, you can change your sensor to HA BLE format. Note that it will be called BThome in HA, as a new name for HA BLE.

Other sensor brands to be supported with core integrations in September are

• Xiaomi (part 2)
  • Qingping
  • BThome / HA BLE
  • Thermobeacon
  • ThermoPro
2 Likes

I read through a few things here after reading the warning in the documentation about the Bluetooth change.

Did I understand it correct, that I have to switch to the manual configuration for BLE monitor devices in the case that I want one device through the new Bt integration?

Usecase: I really want my Inkbird iBBQ read out every time it sends data. The 1 minute average that I have for other sensors through BLE monitor is to slow in that case.

I would just disable the iBBQ by manually configuring the other sensors through MAC addresses and use this with the HA integration?

You can do three things, assuming you have set up things in the UI

Option A. Disable autodiscovery and delete the iBBQ sensor. The others will keep on working, but new sensors won’t be added anymore, including the iBBQ. Than add the iBBQ via the new integration.

Option B. Don’t change anything, only add the new integration. You will than have two sets of sensors for the iBBQ, one via BLE monitor, one via the new integration. It won’t hurt eachother.

In both cases, you probably need to enable active scan, to keep using both integrations working, or use two BLE dongles.

Option C. Use a shorter period in BLE monitor. This can be changed in the options.

1 Like

So I’ve been monitoring the new BT integration in HA, and it looks like all my sensors are now supported there. is there a procedure for cutting over and preserving existing data?

No, I’m afraid not. BTW, Not all brands are copied to the new integrations yet, but a lot are. Also note that Xiaomi BLE integration doesn’t support all binary sensors yet.

I have just updated to latest September release and HA OS release and see this

I am presuming that, if I want to continue with this HACS add-in, I leave these well alone?

Yes, if you only want to use BLE monitor, you can ignore these. If you want to use both BLE monitor and one of the new Bluetooth integrations, you do have to enable one of these (preferably enable one for Home assistant integrations and use the other for BLE monitor)

1 Like

Hi there, I’ve just flashed a Xiaomi LYWSD03MMC temperature and humidity sensor with BTHome using encrypted advertisements. It was discovered (and I have added it) directly through the Bluetooth/BTHome integration.

I also use Passive BLE monitor for some other entities, but BLE montior seems to keep attempting to connect to my BTHome device generating the log error:

Logger: custom_components.ble_monitor.ble_parser.bthome
Source: custom_components/ble_monitor/ble_parser/bthome.py:103
Integration: Passive BLE monitor (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 17:27:44 (327 occurrences)
Last logged: 18:04:42

No encryption key found for device with MAC XXXXXXX

Is there a way I can tell BLE Monitor to ignore that device?

In reality, it is actually not really connecting, it is just listening to all the Bluetooth data, when I finds a supported format, it will try to convert it, but that fails, as you didn’t enter the encryption key.

There are two solutions to get rid off the messages.

1. Disable automatic discovery of new devices and delete the MAC address of the sensor from the devices list in the BLE monitor options. Downside as that other new sensors won’t be added automatically.
  2. Just enter the encryption key. It won’t hurt to have the device in both integrations at the same time, as both integrations just process the incoming data. Side note, both integrations use a different way to control your Bluetooth dongle, it is therefore important to use the same scanning mode (active or passive) in both integrations, when using only one dongle. Otherwise, the dongle gets confused and will stop the core HA integration to function properly in most cases. But that seems to work fine, as you already use both integrations.
1 Like

Thanks very much for your quick and detailed reply. I decided to go with option 2 and just disable the duplicate device. I am using two adapters, one for Passive BLE and one for the first party integration, so am good in that regard.

Thanks again for your help, and for all your work on this project and on Core!

When I run this integration I get some random iBeacon devices and nothing else. Is there a way I can work out what device this might be?

Not that I am aware of. iBeacons only broadcast this long UUID and iBeacon format is also (mis)used by other manufacturers. So, it is hard to tell which device this is, afaik.

What would be the reason that every time that I go to “Configure” the BLE integration and “uncheck” the Don’t use bluettoth checkbox, and then SUBMIT, this bluetooth device enablement is always set back to “true” (Don’t use)?

Thanks…

No idea, sounds like a bug.

BTW, in the next HA release later this week, iBeacon support is added as an official HA integration.

Since the last 2 or 3 HA updates I have to power cycle HA almost daily because all the BT devices are not available. After a power cycle everything works fine.

I have no idea what causes the issue.

Current version installed:
Home Assistant 2022.10.1
Supervisor 2022.09.1
Operating System 9.0
Frontend-versie: 20220907.2 - latest

Can anybody give me some guidance so I am able to find the issue caused? @Ernst any suggestions?

Running 2022.9.7 and OS 9.0

Still using the old integration, but the old integration is not picking up all of the BT adapters available.

It is as if the list in this integration is not being updated (note the same mac address appears under different hci numbers).

Any suggestions @Ernst?

Try a full system restart (power off power on). Looks like the hci address has changed.

So I’ve just upgraded from an old HA installation with BLE monitor to the newest 2022.10 one, and switched my xiaomi sensors from ble to the new buetooth integration.

I’m not sure I understand the discussion on active vs. passive: is the new bluetooth integration still using active scanning, and is there any disadvantage currently regarding battery life for my lywsd03mmc sensors?

and I guess there won’t be any averaging of values in the new integration?