PawFit GPS tracker

I have a PawFit2 (https://www.pawfit.com/en-gb/product/pawfit2.html) which I use to track my dog.

I was hoping to use the Bluetooth to set him Home or Away in HA, but it is disabled once the device is setup. I use the PawFit app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.latsen.pawfit) on my phone, so I know there is a hidden API to get the data. I tried to reverse engineer the app, and MITM, to get the endpoints but it wasn’t straightforward and is beyond my current level of competency.

So, I wondered if anyone else had managed to get this device working in anyway, or if someone would be kind enough to create, or help me to create, a HA add-on. I do a little programming, but I am no wizard.

@StevenJonSmith did you ever make any progress with this, I have started using a garmin smart watch and would love to be able to hook pawfit up by IFTTT…

Unfortunately not so far. I can’t get the API details and the best PawFit will offer is the ability to download historic location data in a spreadsheet.

Unless someone is able to capture the traffic between the app and the PawFit server I don’t think this is going to be built.

It’s a real shame that Pawfit won’t help. I am looking at getting one for my dog but as my whole house is HA I may need to go with Tractive as they have a integration. It’s a shame as I think I prefer the size and features of the Pawfit.

So I have got HA reporting if my dog is home or away based on his pawfit but it is a bit of a fudge and it only does home/away and not actual location but it would work for any geo fence location you set up in Pawfit. Running tasker on my phone (Android) and that triggers an automation when a pawfit notification is received that is pattern matched to the text of the Pawfit Geo fence locations and then tasker makes a web call to HA, triggering an automation. I also set up a tracker device in HA that the automations marks as home /away so other things can then be conditional on him being home or away. Had to mess around with another automation to default his location to home on HA restart but it does work. Not really found a use case yet other than his picture displaying on the dashboard along with other family members who are home but early days! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve had a little play around with Charles Proxy to capture the traffic between the PawFit App and the API servers. I’m able to log in (although this requires capturing a hashed version of the password from Charles proxy. I have no idea what the hashing algorithm is, so this limitation may not be solvable).
Once logged in, I can request a list of tracker IDs on the account and then pass these to the location service, which has a very nice payload response, containing battery level, signal strength and of course location.
I do not have any experience with building homeassistant integrations but I am an experienced software engineer and i’m willing to learn. If anyone is interested in partnering on this (preferably someone with the experience I’m lacking), please reach out to me.
Don’t get too excited yet as I have very limited time to work on this but I will see what I can do over the coming weeks.

2 Likes

Well that is further than I got! :slight_smile: I would be happy to help with testing and basic yaml config etc but I’m no software engineer I’m afraid so may be limited to testing and moral support :slight_smile:

@danbaker, any chance you could share more details about what you found? I’m also an experienced software engineer, and also not familiar with writing HA integrations, but from what I have integrated so far I think we’d get a lot of use from a service that polls the API and pushes the response to MQTT.