PCB Design: Ring light controller replacement

Elevator pitch

I want to retrofit / replace my ring-light circuit board for the led controls.

Many of these ring-lights use the same form factor for their controls, and you can even buy replacements on Aliexpress and the likes.

The replacement board should be able to fit into the light’s control enclosure.

Step 1. Solder old PCB out
Step 2. Solder new PCB in and you have upgraded your LED
Step 3. (optional) Can even be added to Home Assistant.

It’s main features:

• It must have an (ESP32) micro-controller.
  • It must be hackable.
  • It must be a “device first” approach, automations / integrations / etc is a nice to have, not a must have.

The next step is to make this…

Ok, so there is an idea, but this idea needs to take shape…

What are (some) of the plans?

1. Look for existing projects that likely include these elements, this needs to get onto a PCB in some way.
  2. Make a prototype.
  3. Make some form of plan or notes about what you need.

Lets see what has been done …

Very different device, but here’s a description of how I replaced a pump control board with a custom PCB with an ESP32.

You need to figure out what the interface is on the current board. ie what signal are you trying to produce to control the light? What power supply is available? Does it have any other inputs?

Then some careful measuring of the existing board so you can create something that fits.

Existing plans / Inspiration

The items in here are guidelines and ideas only.

1. Small ESP design. - GitHub - makermoekoe/Picoclick-C3 especially the tiny version, it appears to have schematics and files you can submit to have a PCB printed.
    pc3t_tn_2

2. Some way / circuit to switch a CW/WW light. - Using a ULN2003 circuit to switch the LED’s.

3. Make it fit into the enclosure.

Making a prototype

The prototype is looking good.

• All code is in the ESPHome yaml format and OTA works very nicely.
  • Button presses and reaction time seems good.
  • The bread board circuit is something I can follow along with and is not over my head (it is not over complex).

In my prototype I have my inputs, outputs and MCU…

Now how do I get this into an electronic format that a PCB can be mode from the prototype?

Make notes and ask for help

The next step is now to ask for help, using a “freelancing service” I found a number of people that can assist at a fee.

At this stage I am out of my depth, I have no idea how deep this PCB rabbit hole goes… up to what point can you copy/paste.

This is where I am now, where I am stuck and I appreciate the community’s inputs or assistance that I can continue further with this adventure.

If your services are for hire, let me know which platform you use and we can meet there. Should you just be another hobbyist with some spare time to help out, that is also welcome.

The basic questions I could come up with:

I will be relying on your knowledge of electronics and PCB design to guide me in this idea:

1. Is it achievable to combine both the ESP32 and ULN chips in a ~15mm x 40mm area
  2. Will you be able to “copy/paste” the existing Picoclick-C3 in this design to save time?
  3. Programming / flashing the unit must be possible, so access to TX/RX pins is required.
  4. Some test pads on the PCB
  5. There must be a polarity protection on both “MCU” and “power output” side
  6. The use of readily available / common parts
  7. Any WiFi/Bluetooth limitations we can expect when downsizing to this scale?
  8. Any considerations you notice that have been overlooked

The pins:
4x GPIO (digital) input pins (buttons)

• On/off button
  • Increase brightness
  • Decrease brightness
  • Light mode (Cool/Warm/Combined)

3x GPIO (pwm) output pins (LEDs)

• Status LED
  • Cool white channel
  • Warm white channel

The LED driver / power output:

• I am unfamiliar with what would constitute as a good LED (PWM) driver and ended up with the ULN configuration. The current rating on the default switch is 5VDC, 2~3A. Other suggestions also welcome.

Files:
The files should be in a format that is widely accepted, and if not widely accepted it must be able to be easily converted into an accepted format.
Any person with access to the files must be able to edit them.
PCB manufacturers must be able to get all info from the file (e.g. what chips to use/supply etc)

Greetings,

Reading your post, it does feel we share a common goal, fiddle with stuff to make it work in a way we need it to :slight_smile: Thanks for your post.

It would appear we have different skill sets, and what I can gather from your post, you have the talent, (patience?) and likely background to excel in a area I have no clue even where to start.

Since I also do not see myself attempting to learn a new PCB-design course, I would like to appeal to the community, show what I have been able to accomplish and ask for assistance in this final step. I also acknowledge these projects do take time, and will happily also pay to see this to completion.

Not sure if these are same case/control board but they look similar. I built these a while ago to make them ESPHome devices and have been working well.

Awesome project, its nice to see resourcefulness :slight_smile:

Thanks for having your files available on GitHub, there is definitely overlap and I will find some gems in there!.