PCIe adapter for Google Coral

Because Google Coral USB devices are either not available or cost $100 I have decided to use one of the others that are available and cost between $25 and $40.

I need recommendations for PCIe adapter for Google Coral.model G650-06076-01 (M.2 Accelerator with Dual Edge TPU using M.2 E-Key) or model G650-04686-01 (Edge TPU coprocessor with M.2 B+M interface).

I have an empty PCIe slot.

5 Likes

Hi Jack, I’m in the same boat, but already have the M.2 Accelerator with Dual Edge TPU, but I’m struggling to find how to attach it to my board. It would be great to see what others have used or suggest.

Just make sure you’ll get the coral G650-04686-01 (with the B+M key slot).

This will be the only one that will work in the M.2 slot that you’ll find on a motherboard or PCIe card, eg. the one from Akasa, which are mostly focused on storage solutions to be added to your device.

Simplified:

• the B+M key is used in M.2 storage solutions (SSD/NVME)
  • the A+E key is used in M.2 Bluetooth/Wifi solutions.

An A+E will only fit and work if you have a dedicated M.2 slot for BT/Wifi expansions.

10 Likes

Jsehv:
Thanks for the information. My mother board also has 2 M.2 connectors, so I have ordered the G650-04686-01 which also cost less than the other model. Your explanation about B+M and A+E was very helpful.

Please let us know where you found them to be on stock.
A lot of HA users are looking for them, but stocks are very limited at the moment.

I found them to be on stock in Germany (but only deliver to Germany & Austria), here:

I would also like to know where they are in stock. I live in Germany, but Pollin does not have any at the moment and they don’t support backorders.

It says the m.2 M-Key version is obsolete on mouser:
grafik

Sorry to hijack - but I have the same issue. The only Coral devices available in the UK at the moment are the A+E keys. I need to use on an ITX motherboard with only one NVME slot, but I do have a free full-size PCI-E slot.

Is there a PCI-E adapter card that will work with the A+E key?

Edit: how about something like this:

I wanted to report that I had success with an old Lenovo M600 tiny and the coral m.2 card in the wifi socket. I bought the dual TPU coral E key. I see one Apex device and can run all the examples. Not sure if I should see two apex devices given that it is a dual tpu, but will figure that out. Will also have to figure out heat, as it is kind of tucked in there, we will see if I have throttle issues. I had one M600 that I was not able to see the device, so I moved the m.2 ssd and the coral key to another chassis with the same specs and it worked. No idea why. Just figured I would report to the community.

1 Like

In answer to my own question - I ended up putting the A+E card in the wifi/bluetooth slot on my motherboard (I don’t need wifi/bluetooth in my server). Works fine.

1 Like

Sorry - I’m no hardware guy and want to get this right. I have several of the m.2 b+m coral devices. I cannot find a PCIe adapter that has both B & M in the same slot. Will the device work if the adapter only has the m slot? I can see it will fit, but will it work?
Something like this:
Amazon.com: M.2 NVME to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter, M.2 NVME SSD to PCI-e 3.0 x 4 Host Controller Expansion Card, Supports 2280, 2260, 2242, 2230 Solid State Drives : Electronics

Would also like to find an adapter that holds two of these devices if you have a suggestion.

Thank you

1 Like

I did the same and swapped the wifi/bluetooth adapter in the M.2 E key port on an Asus PN51 with https://docs.rs-online.com/15f6/A700000007334657.pdf

Is this same as you ended up with?

Adapter is recognised but throwing several errors when starting frigate.
Cut below of detection and errors only.

[2021-12-08 16:21:38] frigate.edgetpu                INFO    : Attempting to load TPU as pci
[2021-12-08 16:21:38] frigate.edgetpu                INFO    : TPU found
E driver/mmio_driver.cc:254] HIB Error. hib_error_status = 0000000000002200, hib_first_error_status = 0000000000000200
E driver/mmio_driver.cc:254] HIB Error. hib_error_status = 0000000000002200, hib_first_error_status = 0000000000000200
[2021-12-08 16:21:58] frigate.watchdog               INFO    : Detection appears to be stuck. Restarting detection process...
[2021-12-08 16:21:58] root                           INFO    : Waiting for detection process to exit gracefully...
[2021-12-08 16:22:28] root                           INFO    : Detection process didnt exit. Force killing...
[2021-12-08 16:22:29] detector.coral_pci             INFO    : Starting detection process: 507
W driver/beagle/beagle_kernel_top_level_handler.cc:131] Could not set performance expectation : 120 (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
[2021-12-08 16:22:29] frigate.edgetpu                INFO    : Attempting to load TPU as pci
[2021-12-08 16:22:29] frigate.edgetpu                INFO    : TPU found

Looks like you have the dual edge TPU - I have the standard single one. It seems to be detecting your TPU OK, so I am not sure what the issue is.

Maybe this will help:

Thanks, yes have the dual version.

Have seen the getting started doc from coral but unfortunately I’m not able to perform that on HomeAssistantOS…

would this adapter work for example? Waveshare 20315 M.2 M KEY TO M.2 A KEY, 7,90 € - Welectron

Guys,

Currently there are no known Motherboards supporting the A+E Dual TPU directly - and get both TPU’s available attached to any built-in M.2 slot. Only one TPU will be recognized.

Currently, there are no known M.2 adapters from sites like Amazon or AliExpress that will support the A+E Dual TPU directly - and get both TPU’s available attached to any built-in M.2 slot. Only one TPU will be recognized.

There is a guy that has made adapters, both PCI and M.2 that works. You can add yourself on a waiting list, currently expected delivery Feb/March.

I have two Dual TPU’s:

• One inserted to the built in M.2 A+E slot > Only one TPU detected
  • One inserted to a PCIe-to-mini PCIe converter

At least I do run two TPU’s this way (hopefully 4 in couple of months).

Don’t bother ordering and testing cheap converters, none of them utilize the dual lanes required for the Dual TPU to work with both channels.

2 Likes

Can you share a link to the PCI-e adapter? I ordered the dual TPU today because it was the only model that had less than a 6 month lead time. I don’t mind if it only supports 1 tpu…that’s all I need for now.

So sorry bro, did a typo. The adapter was for my mini PCIe edition of Coral.

Hi, did you get any further with this? I to am looking to get a M.2 device due to lack of availability of other options. I am also running HomeAssistantOS. If the drivers cannot be installed directly then another option may be to run frigate standalone and connect to it in HomeAssistant.

How did you resolve it? Thanks!

Still stuck, you can help me by pushing this one: Kernel Parameters for PCI Dual Edge TPU · Issue #1698 · home-assistant/operating-system · GitHub

Tested the kernel parameter - no change.
Then drivers should be next

Do you detect both TPUs with that PC?