Peloton support

Would love to see Peloton support.

Perhaps you should give us a couple of sentences on that peloton is? Because neither of your links give me any damn idea!

Itā€™s a really expensive exercise bicycle.

LOL no wonder I didnā€™t know!!

/me looks around for wine glass and runny cheese.

2 Likes

Good News!

Using the linked API above I was able to scrap something together. The API being used is official but undocumented aside from @geudrikā€™s documentation (someone please correct me).

My plan is to refactor the code from the peloton-api project directly into the HASS Component, as peloton-api is not published to PyPi, and is already MIT licenced.

For anyone curious about use cases, I am interested in using this to trigger:

• Lights off
  • Accent lights to blue
  • HVAC to stop cooling and ventilate
  • directed cooling fan on

And reverse when the ride is over.

Quick Edit: I realize the peloton-api project is not just a simple script, and I may look at working with the dev to get it published into PyPi.

2 Likes

@edwork well done, would be very interested in collaborating or helping test, is there somewhere to follow along on your progress?

Congrats @edwork, this is super exciting! Iā€™ve been looking for the same thing, did you manage to get this working? Let me know if I can help!

Thanks @edwork - this is fantastic! Iā€™m confused on how to install the sensor, though?

Iā€™m running in a docker container, and have

• Placed the contents from your git into HomeAssistant/config/custom_components/peloton
  • Created the HomeAssistant/config/peloton configuration file with credentials.
  • Added - platform: peloton to my configuration file

However, nothing is loaded into the entities? What steps should we be following to get this going?

Thanks!
Matt

@edwork do you have something working even if rough? Iā€™d love to help with this so I can stop getting yelled at when the basement lights turn off when my wife is on the Bike. :slight_smile:

Hello All,

Itā€™s been a while since I started this, and I could use some help making it more streamlined. First, there are some requirements that we need to work out.

• I am using geudrik/peloton-api. An unofficial (but working) API. Itā€™s not in PyPi so I have resorted to cloning the project and refactoring certain things such as the credentials in order to get it working.

• Credentials currently have to be hard coded. This is a VERY solvable issue, I am just not the best at refactoring whatā€™s already built in the API functions. I believe I hard coded my credz in custom_components/homeassistant-peloton-sensor/sensor.py (line 33,34) but if that doesnā€™t work check in custom_components/homeassistant-peloton-sensor/peloton/peloton.py and look into hard coding them there.

To be clear, most of the terrible workarounds are just to get it to work for proof of concept. Since thereā€™s been much more interest lately (and I need to get back on the bikeā€¦) Iā€™m going to try to polish this up a good bit within the next few days.

Checkout https://github.com/edwork/homeassistant-peloton-sensor/ for more details in the Readme (including new setup instructions).

Cheers,
Ed

2 Likes

Thanks @edwork! Appreciate the progress on this, even if itā€™s just MVPā€¦ very cool! Iā€™ve been refreshing this page for the last 8 days waiting for this :slight_smile:.

I updated the credentials in 33,34 but was still unsuccessful. I ended up hard coding them into line 268, 269 which worked! Iā€™m not a developer and know just enough about Python to be dangerousā€¦ will play around with the code later this week to see if I can help figure out why the variables arenā€™t passed into the payload on 268,269.

Happy to hear itā€™s working somewhat. I havenā€™t poked at this for a while, so couldnā€™t remember exactly what I had done! Pull requests are welcome, suggestions and critiques are also very welcome!

@edwork Nice Job in this, I was able to get it working as well and would be happy to help test.

One thing I noticed, it never reports anything other than complete as the status, however the attributes do seem to update after a workout is completed. Is that consistent with everyone elseā€™s experience?

Hey - Just wanted to thank you for working on this- canā€™t wait to try it out. Hopefully it could be included in as a standard HA integration (or installable via HACS) some day.

For anyone interested, I wanted something offline to solve the issue of knowing if someone was using the bike.

I sideloaded the following app onto the Peloton: https://llamalab.com/automate/

The app allows you to make HTTP/S calls during screen on/off events. I use these events to fire a ā€œpelotonā€ event into the HASS event bus with event metadata indicating if the screen is on/off.

I listen to these events in automation to turn fans/lights on and off.

Unfortunately this isnt as elegant as a HASS plugin, but I like the fact that I am getting feedback directly from the bike!

That is interestingā€¦how did you install onto the Peloton?

Sideload using ADB and plugging my computer directly into the Peloton

Can you tell me how you hardcoded it so I can copy paste with my user information please?

I know itā€™s not ā€˜elegantā€™ either, but FWIW I use Google Wifi Mesh setup at my house. I created an ā€˜IFTTT Eventā€™ when Google Wifi detects my Peloton on the network, it calls a script (which sets a variable / timestamp in HA denoting the Peloton is ON). Another IFTTT Trigger fires when Google Wifi detects the Peloton leaving the network to fire a peloton off script.

scripts:

peloton_on:
  sequence:
    - service: variable.set_variable
      data:
        variable: peloton
        value: 'on'
      data:
        variable: peloton_on
        value_template: "{{ now().timestamp() }}"

peloton_off:
  sequence:
      data:
        variable: peloton
        value: 'off'

binary_sensor:

peloton:
      friendly_name: Peloton
      value_template: "{{ is_state('variable.peloton','on') }}"

sensors:

peloton_last_on:
      value_template: >
        {% set elapsed = (as_timestamp(states('sensor.date_time').replace(',','')) - states('variable.peloton_on') | int ) %}
        {% set days = (elapsed / 86400) | int %}
        {% set hours= ((elapsed  % 86400) / 3600) | int %}
        {% set mins = ((elapsed  % 3600) / 60) | int %}
        {% set secs = elapsed | int % 60 %}
        {% if days > 0 %} {{days}}d {%if hours < 10 %}0{%endif%}{{hours}}:{%if mins< 10 %}0{%endif%}{{mins}}
        {% elif hours > 0 %} {% if hours < 10 %}0{%endif%}{{hours}}:{%if mins< 10 %}0{%endif%}{{mins}}
        {% elif mins > 0 %} {{mins}}m
        {% else %} {{secs}}s {% endif %}

Iā€™m sure there are more elegant ways to do this, but, hey, does at least what I need it to doā€¦

Also, FWIW, I use the exact same methodology for our Xbox, Nanny sensor, etc. Anything that comes onto / off of the network I can track like this to see if itā€™s on or not and how long itā€™s been on.

Ends up looking like this on frontend:

Variable I use is custom component and found here: https://github.com/rogro82/hass-variables (Iā€™m also aware input_* can be used, but I started w/ variables and they work, so sticking with my theme of ā€˜if it ainā€™t broke, donā€™t fix itā€™ - I kept using themā€¦

Unfortunately I have UniFi and same thing wonā€™t work. Right now the status on this does not change from complete to in progress.