PG&E Energy Monitoring Integration

Following. logged in and linked my PG&E account. looking forward to HA integration

1 Like

Hi all,

Quick update as of Feb 12 2022. I haven’t had time to work on OEV other than for maintenance lately. Work is busy but I hear things will slow down by *licks finger* …September? But really, I don’t think I’ll have time before March 2022 so I’ll check in again then. Re: HA integration, if anyone has experience with “API token systems” or wants to learn and help out, LMK.

Tagging me here or creating a Github issue at https://github.com/JPHutchins/open-energy-view is a good way to report bugs and other issues.

Cheers,
J.P.

1 Like

Hi there :slight_smile: I would like to help. I just started working with HA. I’m looking through OEV now, and think it would be awesome if you could pull that data into HA.

2 Likes

Super exciting, thank you! First step would be following the development environment instructions. Since you’re (probably) the first one to use them you’re sure to encounter issues so hopefully we can update the Readme for the next person. I’ll try to get into the GitHub KanBan and make an “Epic” for HA integration.

The first thing I’ve run into is that I’m on a different operating system than you are. Since this has several services running with dependencies, it seems like a good docker compose candidate. Reading through the docs seems to give a very clear picture of how setup needs to be taken care of, I’ll see if I can get it running in docker, and put in a PR. I’ll put in an issue for dockerization now so we can move the conversation over to github if thats Ok.

1 Like

Very excited as a PG&E customer to see this progress! However I’m wondering how it’s even possible.

My understanding is that you can’t backdate sensor states or import historical data. HA explicitly says this is impossible in the context of importing energy data: Import historic sensor data

Has something changed, is there some way around this?

1 Like

Thanks, that’s good info! The initial implementation would just be batch updates of 24 hour time periods about 36 hours behind, as that is what PG&E supports. So it sounds like we might have to update HA to handle this.

@JPHutchins i was able to finish the authorization step successfully, when I log into home energy view I see empty charts and the date range in the UI seems to be stuck at 1969. Possibly that is a default for the charts until we get data?
Do I understand this correctly, do I need to wait 24 hours to see data or should I already see data?

BTW my authorization time was approximating 9 pm PST in April 13

Thanks for all your effort and help, I can’t wait to start seeing usage data in HA.

1 Like

I am a PG&E Customer and I am interested in this development / integration into home assistant. I am a relatively newer Home Assistant user coming from the Homeseer platform. Most of us that are serious have some kind of device that monitors energy usage. Personally I use the Rainforest Eagle gateway to connect to the smart meter. The eagle is pretty good for showing current usage etc but it would be good to back fill data from PGE to get accurate reporting more for historic purposes. I also am interested in getting the gas meter usage into Home Assistant. I did sign up and link my account. I don’t see data yet but will keep an eye on it. Thanks for all the hard work

2 Likes

It is most likely that your data is in the 15-minute intervals that I still need to implement.

I will take a look and see if your data is being pulled.

As a PG&E customer I am more than interested in this. I am start to following this conversation. Hopefully still in process, last reply was in may.

1 Like

@JPHutchins thank you for this - signed up, authorized, and I’m looking at my historical data now. For the record, I’m also interested in gas usage…

Thanks!

• Scott
1 Like

Hi Edgar, please try registering at https://www.openenergyview.com/

Unfortunately I have not made any progress on a HA integration yet.

J.P.

1 Like

I’m also very interested in this integration.

1 Like

Also very interested and now following! I’m brand new to the HA community. I just set up my very own system to control some smart switches in my home. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m with PG&E as well and am VERY interested in this integration as well. Thanks for the hard work.

4 Likes

Following :heavy_dollar_sign::heavy_dollar_sign::heavy_dollar_sign:

Following avidly! I am a noob waiting on buying the Shelly EM meters until I see what better minds than mine can figure out. Sure would be nice to have a direct integration with the PG&E smart meter, or the PG&E "back office" database, rather than a separate device integration like with the Shelly EM energy meter. I'm not smart enough to assist, but I'll happily contribute $$$. Cheers, Dave.

+1, this would be awesome!

2 Likes