Phantom device tracker since 0.80.2

I have no device trackers configured in home assistant. I did previously have a ubiquiti device tracker, but commented it out of configuration.yaml months ago.

I updated from 0.80.1 to 0.80.2 this afternoon. I now have a whole lot of device tracker badges in my (non lovelace) UI. There are 15 of them and their names all match hosts on my network. Well one is a host that has not been turned on since before I installed this home assistant on my new nuc. I am puzzled by this and can’t figure out where it came from.

Log tells me:

nick@nuccy:~$ grep -i tracker ~homeassistant/.homeassistant/home-assistant.log
2018-10-18 18:10:35 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] Loaded device_tracker from homeassistant.components.device_tracker
2018-10-18 18:10:35 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setting up device_tracker
2018-10-18 18:10:35 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of domain device_tracker took 0.0 seconds.

Where have they sprung from and why have they suddenly appeared?

I realised I still had a known_devices.yaml from when I trialled ubiquiti. Changing it’s name got rid of the device tracker badges, but I am still curious as to why they suddenly appeared.