Philips Hue changed to unavailable

This has been happening to me too for the last few weeks.

I’ve just created a new Docker container without copying anything over from my old config, and only setup my Hue lights. So far so good for the last few days.

I’m now starting to add other things… gradually.

BTW, I'm also running HA on an Intel NUC (through Docker containers).
1 Like

Guess this would be a good time to chime @balloob in, and ask for further help.

I haven’t found a solution yet, and it only happens on the Hue integration ( as far as my setup is concerned).

You can’t just tag me and expect help. That’s rude. I have better things to do.

1 Like

keep me posted please? I’ve stripped mine down to the bare bones, but I guess the next step is a new container. It had been working totally fine and I hadn’t actually changed anything except update HA

Will do :+1:t3:

While I am not aware of mistreating you in any way, I feel sorry if I have misbehaved here. Not my intention at all.

The thing is I and many other community members are trying to solve the issues of Hue integration and flapping Hub/lights for several months now, an no solution seems to be imminent, or even to be recognized and acknowledged by the HA team.

I am not sure what else we could do other than every once in a while report or post about our/the (lack of) progress on this subject. I for one have posted, even on your own request, more than a few topics, and provided code and case descriptions, offering help in my limited skills. Haven’t heard since.

So, please forgive me for confirming another community member in his experience, pointing him to other posts on this forum.
I truly believed to do good to mention you, since you’d be in on the added info, and you are the expert per se.

I wasn’t rude, and don’t appreciate that judgmental attitude at all tbh. All doing our thing to help Homeassistant reach a perfect integration of one of the worlds industry leading products. I couldn’t imagine you wouldn’t want that.

Cheers,
Marius

2 Likes

I have similar issues with lights becoming randomly unavailable, hoping someone can look into this!

Same issue and on a NUC too. I deleted my Hue hub and then rediscovered it , paired and so far it has been robust

…some more info.

I’ve also tried doing a factory reset of the the Philips Hue hub. It works fine through the Philips Hue iOS app, and though any HomeKit app, so the only problems I was seeing was through Home Assistant.

Did this an hour ago… and all lights unavailable yet again… this is a joke

and it is now happening every 10 minutes.

https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/13109

Only now do I realize this is explicitly introduced and thus intended behavior…

have had issues with this ever since.

I had a few links for reference lined up: Any hope to get hue.hue_activate_scene back?

Btw, I thought to have it solved, (by disabling the CC hue.py and killing all my python scripts listening to the lights). It isnt though , lights are still showing unavailable at irregular and often times.

Unfortunately it is still very unstable.

We might want to raise the issue again on the Github… This newly introduced Catch should mark lights unavailable when the hub is, but as I can safely report, this happens even when the Hub is available just fine. Got 3 device_trackers to prove that :wink:

Like everyone else here, I’ve had this issue off and on for several months, I also have a device tracker for my hue hub, but…It could still be connected to the network, but not responding to “hue” commands, etc. At least I could see that possibility.

I do think you’ve found the “cause” though. Seems very plausible that the hub is not talking well with HA for a bit of time, and the bulbs are then being set to unavailable. That makes more sense. I’ve been troubleshooting this as a mesh issue, or a bulb issue, but sounds like a hub communication issue with HA. Any logs I could look at to see what the actually communication issue might be? Next time I happen to notice it I’ll make 100% sure I can still control the bulbs with my hue app. For me the flapping only lasts for short periods of time, so its not always easy to catch.

nothing in the logs besides the things I have posted many times now. I fear the Catch if Hue bridge goes to unavailable triggers when in fact it shouldn’t. Maybe that should be rewritten somehow, I havent checked that, and, probably can’t…

Before I always thought it coincided with upgrading to the asyncio , but now believe it has to do with this. If so, thats hopeful… since reiterable

Good deal. I agree, i think you are correct as far the hue bridge being marked as unavailble when it probably should not be.

Cool, hope to have found it indeed! Cant wait for this to get solved…

Now how to get the dev’s attention and ask them if this could be the long awaited solution. Since #balloob (note the non-tagging #) explicitly told us not to do that, I wonder how else we can get on the radar with this? Would you care to raise another issue on the github referencing this thread, and possible cause introduced in 12 Mar 18 change: Catch if Hue bridge goes unavailable?

Raising an issue is the right way to bring things that need fixed to the devs attention.

1 Like

I have raised it on github. It is number 16689. I put in what I could which wasnt easy in a hospital waiting room…

2 Likes

So, I’ve gradually been adding things back to my new installation from my old setup. Everything went fine until I started adding back all my automations. It then started showing all the Hue lights as unavailable again :roll_eyes:

I’ve now stripped out all the automations that are triggered by, or turn on Hue lights. I’ll now see how that goes for the next few days.

1 Like

Probably not much use, but here is what happened during the day today, it’s pretty typical.

5:07 PM Right Shelf Lights turned off
5:06 PM Right Shelf Lights changed to unavailable
5:04 PM Bedroom Lamp Two turned off
5:03 PM Bedroom Lamp Two changed to unavailable
5:02 PM Bedroom Lamp Two turned off
5:02 PM Bedroom Lamp Two changed to unavailable
2:30 PM Right Shelf Lights turned off
2:30 PM Right Shelf Lights changed to unavailable
12:32 PM Bedroom Lamp Two turned off
12:32 PM Bedroom Lamp Two changed to unavailable
11:18 AM Kitchen Cabinet Tops turned off
11:18 AM Kitchen Cabinet Tops changed to unavailable
10:48 AM Right Shelf Lights turned off
10:48 AM Right Shelf Lights changed to unavailable
8:50 AM TV Backlights turned off
8:50 AM TV Backlights changed to unavailable

The only automations that ran were around 4:53 when someone 1st came home. The rest of the times, nothing was going on