Philips Hue Light - Factory Reset - Fails

Hello,

I’m having an issue with a Philips Hue bulb that can’t be reset to factory defaults.

The light is already linked to a ZigBee network on controller 1 using deCONZ. I tried to factory reset the light but this raises an UNSUP_CLUSTER_COMMAND error:

Option 2 is to run the off-on-off-on-off-on … thing 5 times with 8 seconds on and 2 seconds off, but the light never blinks to indicate it is in pairing mode. I suspect the reason is that the controller 1 is still active (can’t deactivate it because it still has plenty of devices attached) so during the 8 seconds it is ON, the light joins the old network again (even if I delete the node from the deCONZ network).

This is getting me crazy. Do I really need to go to another house out of the controller 1 network to factory reset the bulb?

Once reset, the bulb will be joined to the new controller network, but that step I can’t initiate until the bulb is reset.

Do you have any ideas about what to do?

I’ll try to:

1. Delete the bulb from controller 1 (deconz)
  2. Restart controller 1 (to make sure the node is discarded on the network).
  3. Start the reset procedure again and see what happens.

I did already this without the step 2

For the records,

Even restarting controller 1 after node delete the bulb still doesn’t reset itself. If I enable pairing on controller 1 again, even without reseting the bulb (which is what I can’t do) the bulb joins again controller 1 network.

Do you have a remote? You can reset with that.

Hi, Thanks for answering.

No I don’t have a remote. I know the bulb has bluetooth access but never used it nor installed original Philips bluetooth controllers. It looks like I need to create an account to do that so I uninstalled that app from my phone.

I’ve actually found current firmware version is 1.55.8_r28815

I’ve also found there is an updated version. I’m now using OTA over controller 1 network to update firmware. Maybe I can run the reset command once it is updated.

I don’t think the on-off thing works any more - if it ever did.

Do you have a Hue dimmer switch? If so…

• Make sure the bulb is turned on
  • Hold the dimmer switch close to it
  • Press and hold the top and bottom buttons on the switch together

After 5-10 seconds the bulb should flash, indicating that it’s in pairing mode.

Edit: Sorry - @fleskefjes suggested this while I was typing… The dimmer switch/remote needs to be Zigbee.

I have some Hue On/Off switch (single button) I don’t have any dimmer switch :frowning:

Buy a dimmer or borrow from a friend? It’s handy to have as you’ve noticed and you could of course use it with deconz too.

yep! I’ve just purchased one. It should arrive tomorrow

2 Likes

FYI, there are a few different workaround tips for how to manually factory reset Philips Hue devices posted here → https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zha#add-philips-hue-bulbs-that-have-previously-been-added-to-another-bridge

Hi, I managed to reset the bulb this morning. The problem was that the description of the off-on-off process was wrong. The right process is:

Start from ON
Turn OFF, wait 5 seconds
Turn ON, wait 10 seconds
Turn OFF, wait 10 seconds
Turn ON, wait 10 seconds
Turn ON, wait 10 seconds
Turn ON, wait 10 seconds
Turn ON, wait 10 seconds

The bulb blinks!

1 Like

I was going crazy, then I found this solution, I love you, thank you! :smiling_face_with_tear: