Philips Hue Motion Sensor - Lux Level not refreshing

Hi guys,

I have a Philips hue motion sensor in my hallway that will trigger the hallway light if motion is detected or if the front door opens, if it’s dark enough.

It has recently stopped refreshing the light level, it not just stays static. I have removed it and repaired it with HA but the light level just stays static with the level it was when paired.

I am running HA off a raspberry pi and use a ConBee II USB stick and I just recently switched to ZHA from Phoscon.

I can’t be 100% sure it worked after I switched to ZHA but I think it do. It definitely worked via Phoscon.

I think it stopped working after the 2022.6 Core update but I can’t be certain.

Now, it could be that the sensor has just gone bad perhaps…

Has anyone noticed anything similar recently?

I’ve seen old posts where updates have broken this…

Cheers,
Mac

1 Like

core HA Hue integration (connected to the Hue Bridge) presents these 2 switches:

Schermafbeelding 2022-06-07 om 22.53.15

with the Illuminance switch we can switch the sensor recording light level.

Since you use the ConBee, I dont think that switch is available? In any case, check if you have that, and whether it is turned on.

1 Like

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

No, I don’t have any switch entities with this sensor.

This is my device!

I must dig out the bridge and pair it back to it and make sure the light level is being refreshed.

At least then I can rule out a faulty sensor…

dont you have a source for the connection to the Conbee with all configuration options. There must be some kind of log to check if the data is complete

1 Like

Yes, temperature and motion were being refreshed fine, I could see that in the logs, it was just luminance that was staying static.

I just deleted the device in HA and then set up the Hue hub, paired the sensor to it and then linked my hue account to HA again.

The Hue sensor is working perfectly.

So, it is either an issue with HA or else my ConBee II stick. The fact that it was ok in Phoscon I reckon either an update to HA or ZHA has thrown something out…

I’m surprised though if that was the case so many more aren’t shouting…

well, from my limited experience with the Conbee and Hue/Ikea, I would say nothing beats the core Hue integration which has gotten a true revamp to apiv2 some short while ago.

the only advantage I was able to see was that on the Ikea motion sensors an actual binary is created. However, that is reacting so slowly, url was practically useless.

Sticking to their core integrations has worked very well

Glad you made it with the core HA integration

if there dont show up yet: you should enable the switches probably in the configuration panel?

1 Like

Well, my only issue is that I’m now not working locally. If my internet is down the sensor will not work.

When using it with the ConBee II stick, or with whatever ZigBee coordinator, it’s all local, it works regardless of the Hue Bridge.

I’d prefer the latter TBH…

if you local network is working, your lights will still work as far as I know? and your switches too, its connected to the Bridge no matter the outbound connection

1 Like

I just did a little test to check this. I plugged out the network cable from the Hue hub and then moved in front of the Hue sensor.

No motion was detected in HA.

I then plugged back in the network cable and performed the same test and the motion sensor instantly reported motion in HA.

So it appears I was correct unfortunately, with it connected using the Hue hub it needs an internet connection for HA to retrieve the sensor data.

Although, perhaps if the Hue hub and Raspberry pi running HA were still connected to the router then perhaps they might still talk to eachother, even if the internet was down.

I’ll need to test this again, can’t currently as we’re both working from home here, can’t be getting given out to :joy:

that indeed was the scenario I was thinking of… if you unplug the Bridge, it can’t communicate at all…

1 Like

Got the same problem what is the fix for it?

I didn’t find any solution, had to go back to the Phillips Hue Hub…

I’m seeing a similar behaviour. I have a bunch of Hue motion sensors that work very well in the Hue app.
The occupancy entity works perfectly as well with ZHA/ConBee II, but the illuminance is not updated often enough (i.e. it takes a few minutes).
The results are similar if I get the value straight from the cluster as well (takes a minute or two for the illuminance to go back to 0 after switching off a light for instance).

Edit: after a bit of tinkering I think I understood what’s happening (in my case): the illuminance sensor only updates when movement is detected
That means that if you have an automation that triggers conditionally (in my case: when motion is detected, turn on the light if illuminance is below 10), you need to give it time to update the illuminance.
I think I’m finding a sweet spot at 2s: my automation becomes “if motion is detected for 2s, turn on the light if illuminance is below 10”. These two seconds give time to the sensor to update the illuminance in ZHA.

1 Like

Is it working fine via the Philip Hue hub? Because I’m also using it via Hub but I have the same “issue”.

For example:
During evening, it’s 0 lx, when the light is going on I have let say 20 lx, after 1 minute my automation will shutdown the lights if no new movement is detected. I come back for example 3 minutes later, the light is not going on because the lluminance is still at 20 lx.

I’ve checked via history in HA and for me It’s always updating every 5 minutes, after 5 minutes i see the new value.

Is there any fix available for this yet?

Im having the same issue as well. Its so rare, the only way to refresh lux and temperature is by doing the re pair process. But then, they never refresh again.
As far as i see here: Philips 9290012607 control via MQTT | Zigbee2MQTT they say that there are some compatibility issues, but also for ZHA, cause thats what we are using…

I have the same issue.
Hue motion sensor, hue led strip, conbee 2, HA on RP4.
Automation for turn light strip on after motion works only 1st time. Then again after maybe 1 minute not sooner.
Today i wll try if will works 2s movement as was written above.
thx for your suggestions.

I also have this issue. Does anyone know if this only happens with a ConBee II and not with a different stick such as the SkyConnect? Or is this a general ZHA problem, independent of hardware?

I’m having this exact issue with a hue motionsensor attached on a SONOFF Universal Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle.