Philips Hue Motion Sensor with external Antenna

Hi there

I want to add an external antenna to a motion sensor in order to place it into a metal mailbox, the antenna will then be placed outside for the wireless connection to the base. I was thinking of a Philips Hue Motion Sensor (Zigbee) because I use them already in my environment (If you have suggestions for other Zigbee or Z-Wave Motion Sensors that might even have a RP-SMA socket on the PCB, that would be awesome - I did not find any in my research).

When I did a teardown of the Motion Sensor, I could spot ANT1 on the PCB, which I strongly believe is the antenna. However, I’m not entirely sure because if I use the Ohm-Meter, it has 0 Ohm on both sides of the jumper against the GND which does not make sense, does it?

Has anyone tried this before? Suggestions welcome, thank you.!

1 Like

Maybe check out this post https://www.reddit.com/r/eufy_security/comments/ju6xko/i_made_a_eufy_mailbox_sensor_with_external_antenna/

Yeah I saw that already but its Eufy… I want to use my existing infrastructure. Zigbee or Z-Wave. No additional gateway or account :wink:

Hi, I was searching for a similar solution and came to your post; that connector is a rare one named MS156 (at least on Aliexpress offers). I ordered some, and when they arrive, I will mod mine.

My setup in the mailbox is working perfectly, only when I have a repeater outside my home door to extend the signal to the mailbox, yet, in some cases, I have to take that repeater off, and sometimes it disconnects, so I hope that boosting the signal via external antenna will do the trick, please note that this is not a regular sma plug, it is a switching one, which means that once it is connected it will disconnect the entire internal antenna and route the signal to the external DIY.

I found most references to the connector refer to an extended version that will not fit inside the motion sensor, yet there is a compact version here: https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0S6rQa

You can see the last comments on this post: Onkel Undertakers Bastelstunde Hue Bridge - #17 by TimboE - Geräte - Homey Community Forum