Philips Hue Play HDMI Sync Box custom integration

I assume the issue is that the device is not automatically discovered. This happens to some people and I am not sure why it happens or how to fix it :frowning:

However, you can add the Philips Hue Play HDMI Sync Box manually in Home Assistant by going to Settings > Devices & Services and the press the Add Integration button. Now select “Philips Hue Play HDMI Sync Box” from the list (search for Hue to filter the list to make it easier to find). Then provide the requested information and press Submit.

Your device should be added and show up as for any other integration.

If that does not help then please provide in more detail what steps you took, what you were expecting and where you are stuck.

I’m fairly new to HA. Did you create those custom buttons?

I’d love to create a page with:

• on/off button
  • 4 buttons to select between the sources.
  • Sync lights on/off
  • 4 buttons to select Intensity
  • brightness bar

I like how you had the PlayStation buttons, was this a custom theme?

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I should have responded advising that your steps allowed me to add the hue sync box.

Much appreciated

Anyone have any cool examples of using this in their lovelace ? Looking for some inspiration

I recently updated my Philips Hue app on ios to version 4.33.0 (11945)
I now can control my Sync Box from this app in addition to using the dedicated Philips Hue Sync app.
I wonder if new endpoints were created in the Hue API ???

I expect the main Hue App to use the same API as the dedicated Syncbox app.
Is there any new functionality available in the main app that was not there in the Syncbox app?

I expect that, too. I have not installed the Syncbox app, using only the Hue app.

Hi i am using hdmi sync box with two hue light bar.currently both connected to hue bridge. My question is can I remove box and bars from bridge and the functionality of changing colors up to tv will be kept ? Or I need to keep hue bridge with ligth bars? Is here somebody who mapped the light bars with home assistant ?

Not entirely sure what you want to achieve, but you need the hue syncbox, hue bridge and hue lamps to have it working.

The hue syncbox analyzes the video and sends lightdata to the bridge which in turn controls the lamps. The Hue syncbox does not control the lights directly.

Yes that correct so not possible to remove hue bridge and work only on home assistant integration ?

No, the hue bridge is needed

Hi, I am looking at picking up the Hue Sync box. Can i just confirm that i need to use the Hue Hub all the time with this? I moved everything Hue along time ago from Phillips to HA. I just want to confirm this Hub business first. really dont want to have to use the Hub and maybe what ultimately stops me from buying it.

Yes, you need the hue syncbox, hue bridge and hue lamps to have it working as is also indicated on the product page Hue Play HDMI Sync Box | Philips Hue US

Thanks mate. Was hoping with HA it would do away with the hub. Its not the end of the world for me to plug it back in. Was just hoping to not have to as everything is under HA

Hi - first of all, thanks for your great work, @Michel. I really like having my Sync Box integrated with Home Assistant!
There’s one thing that I wasn’t able to figure out myself for a while now and I hope someone could help me with this. Randomly while watching the Sync Box is doing its thing, it will suddenly stop working for a moment, stopping the Light Sync as well as displaying an image/playing sound. I noticed that most of the events when this happens starts with such a log entry:
“Sync Box HDMI4 status changed to Plugged”
HDMI4 being the port which I am connected to all the time and nobody is touching it. It is as if the HDMI cable is being pulled for a brief moment. It then takes about 10 seconds before the Sync Box starts working again.
Today I also noticed that once throughout the day all entities became unavailable for 12 seconds, not sure what could have caused this, but this seems to be unrelated to the other problem I described. The first problem sometimes happens randomly, sometimes maybe once in 2-3 hours, sometimes a couple of times during a single hour.
Would be cool if anybody could help me fix these issues.
Thanks!

What TV do you have?

Are you using Dolby Vision by any chance?

That is not a integration system, it could be an issue with the sync box and TV combination.

You could go through Hue support to troubleshoot the issue.

I had an issue with my sync box and TV and ended up solving it by getting a HDMI splitter to just send a 1080p copy of the signal to the sync box, while the TV kept getting 4k Dolby Vision. Only thing that fixed it for good.

2 Likes

@cromelex Could you share which splitter? I continuously have issue with Dolby Vision content and even thinking of selling the sync box due to this

HDMI works great most of the time, but sometimes there are incompatibilities between devices. The post of chromelex has some good tips, I have nothing to add there.

For the entities becoming unavailable that means that a request to the box failed for some reason. The entities will stay unavailable until the box responds again. Occasionally it just happens that the box does not respond for a short period of time. I guess the box is busy doing something else at that time or there is disturbance in the Wifi or something.

This is the splitter that I am using:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0997SQWNS

It supports both 4K 60Hz, Dolby Vision and HDMI-CEC.
I’ve had it for close to a year and it’s been flawless.

Do check the listings in detail, if in doubt contact the seller and they can assist and picking the right one for your use case

I initially bought a slightly cheaper, smaller box, only to realise it didn’t support HDMI-CEC (which I need as I use a Nvidia Shield remote to control the TV).

I’ve set the signal out to the Hue Sync box down to 1080p, and it’s been flawless.

(In fact, my automations are working so well that I’ve been postponing migrating to the new version of the integration just to avoid doing the rework).

Great. Just ordered the same one.

Currently I have Google TV >> Audio Receiver>>sync box>>TV

Where did you put the splitter in your case? Directly after your nvidia shield or after the receiver and then split to TV and Sync box?