Philips Hue will force users to upload their data to Hue cloud

so today I saw this for the first time:

Error while attempting to retrieve discovery information, is there a bridge alive on IP 192.168.1.212 ?

and in fact my bulbs were no longer responding to my commands… I opened the Hue app, and no devices were shown, only the update being requires notification.

I wonder how that could be, because I have blocked internet from my Bridges on the router. Would it be some timing they have implemented, just forcing to Bridges to go online every now and then?

Anyways, what really bugged me was that I couldnt control the lights any longer , and I believe that is contrary to what Hue promised us that would happen?

I did the updates, which took really long btw, and after that my devices came back.

But still…

How long was the bridge disconnected from the internet?

several months (see Philips Hue will force users to upload their data to Hue cloud - #249 by Mariusthvdb)

its remarkable, because I use 3 bridges, and only 1 stopped functioning, the others didnt complain, even though it said updates are available on several devices.

So, maybe a fluke, or a true local network hiccup… Ill take them offline again and see what gives

I believe no one should believe Philips Hue anymore and just put them where they belong (recycling yard).

I need 8 E14 bulbs color and 1 2m led strip color. If you put yours in the recycling yard let me know. Send them to me. I can use them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Let’s be honest. Even with the account shenanigans, hue are still some of the best quality and most consistent lighting products out there.

There are a lot of alternative control options that work well with home assistant.

That said, if anyone is absolutely determined to get rid of their gu10 bulbs… please let me know; I’ll pay for you to ship them to me, so we can keep them out of the landfill :grin:

3 Likes

I’ve been running my 47 Hue lights on ZHA and Z2M, but it never became as stable as the Hue Hub itself…

Also, I’ve never had a crash of the Hue Hub in the past 7-8 years I’ve been using Philips Hue. ZHA, Z2M and HA itself is another story. I like tinkering, but it’s not for everyone for sure.

So after a few months of going back and forth, moved back to the Hue Hub v2 for all my 47 Hue lights, 4 motions sensors and 12 Dial Tap buttons, now even added 5 Hue Secure door sensors and it’s still stable on the Hue Hub.

Mainly the buttons were not consistent with either Z2M or ZHA but also Zigbee Group were not as responsive. Now back with the Hue hub I can even control all 47 lights at the same time without delay…

The non Hue Zigbee devices I’ve put in ZHA which seems to run more stable with just the 18 devices left in there. (Other Zigbee channel of course).

Had a Hue account already, because of Google Home in the past, but so far it’s only needed for out of house control/Cloud links and for the Secure feature which is too basic currently.

Local control or API is not going away. HomeKit and Matter are 100% local.

1 Like

A ‘walled garden’ such as ‘Friends of Hue’ has a lot of benefits if you can stay within the walls.

While I am big ‘local only’ proponent and get my knickers in a bunch when I have to create some type of ‘cloud’ account, even to in theory create a ‘local only’ setup, I do think the whole Hue account thing is rather over blown. I would like to see a list of all the far east sketchy accounts that folks that are rallying against Hue have in their home automation setups… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I agree, in my many years using Hue hubs, no problems until I found out I could add an Ikea bulb to my Hue hub … mistake :wink:

I hope the API will always stay in the hub… That’s my concern about the account requirements that they remove the API in future

wonder what they’re uploading though…

Scherm­afbeelding 2023-12-21 om 14.22.12

2 Likes

HomeKit and Matter will never go away and both implementations are always local. The ‘general’ local API that the HA Integration uses changes constantly and they need to update the Integration accordingly when it changes. There would be no reason for them to remove Local API support.

There is a big difference to how Hue has setup their system, with local API from the start. Competitors are mainly failing with Cloud API’s as they can’t or don’t want to handle the load.

1 Like

Not sure if you can trust this data, otherwise my HA server has done 20PB in a week :rofl:, so I never really pay much attention to what Unifi thinks it measures.

No idea how this is never fixed.

What time frame we are talking about? And is this exclusively internet traffic or also local traffic?

I think my 50 esphome nodes (which are local) didn’t even create such local traffic in one year.

beats me tbh, I just checked and wondered

Still it is exorbitant network (ip) traffic for a solution that actually communicates “ip-less”… I expect the worst…

haha well, you’re not one of the optimistic types are you :wink:

but

look at this, its the same device in the same UDM pro

completely different story

nonetheless, Ive disabled internet on the bridges again (the updating of those bulbs takes forever), so let’s see what will happen.

Yeah, which is why I said, I take those values with a bucket of salt. As they were never accurate.

There are three spots to see data usage inside Unifi, and all values are different :sweat_smile:, and nowhere is it mentioned if it is local, internet or all traffic.

Many other brands fail with this as well, it’s not just Unifi.

Total Traffic for my Hue hub in the past month (which is actually about a week, since I connected and installed the Hub last Saturday).

But as I said, on other pages I see the same as you, but my HA server would also do several PB of data, which is nonsense of course…

If I check the same “Insights” page it shows a more logical usage for my HA server as well.

For comparison:

This is the Somfy TaHoma Switch, which needed an account from the start, even for local control and recently to enable the Local API you needed an account as well.

I would think you will have a very tough, if not impossible, path of updating Hue device firmware if you are blocking the hub from the internet.

If you are concerned about the Hue traffic, then I would recommend putting WireShark on a mirrored port and monitoring the end points and looking at the traffic to/from your Hue hub.

I don’t have any hue devices but I found this interesting.

ofc I meant after the updating had finished…