Philips Tap Dial Switch with double tap and 4 dial actions

For those of you using the Tap Dial Switch with Zigbee2MQTT; we’ve transformed the automation into an easy-to-use blueprint!

Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.

2 Likes

@fleeman Thank you for the blueprint. Great addition!

I just set up my tap dial with your automation a few weeks ago. Works perfectly. I just adapted it to my needs when dimming, so that all lights that the tap dial controls are dimmed (when on) and not just the one that was switched on with the last button press. Somehow it suited me better.

Since the original automation works fine for me, I will not replace it with the blueprint.

If I could make a suggestion. It would be nice if you would still show the code of the “old” automation on your website and here if necessary. Unfortunately it is no longer available on the website, only the new blueprint. I think this might be helpful for others too.

The original automation was overly complex, demanding users to manually modify the counter and input helpers in several locations. The new blueprint simplifies this process significantly, making it more user-friendly and straightforward to update. I’ve successfully switched my setup to this blueprint, and found the transition much smoother than the old method. Moving forward, we’ll concentrate on developing blueprints and no longer update or support the outdated automation.

I’ve converted the new and improved blueprint to a YAML automation for those who prefer it over a blueprint. The new YAML can be downloaded from the blog.

Please don’t get me wrong. This should by no means be a criticism. I would have loved it if the blueprint had been available a few weeks ago. Automation is really highly complex! It also took me a long time to understand what I had to enter where. :sweat_smile:

My suggestion was only valid for documentary purposes. Thanks for posting the Automation again.

I’m already looking forward to future blueprints from you. Thank you for the great work!

2 Likes

None taken :grinning:. We have been tinkering a lot on what we wanted to publish or not and to which extend we want to be dummy proof or challenging the mindset of the DIY-home automator.

We’ve taken your feedback as we do not want to discourage users that prefer a bit more autonomy of tweaking the automation. We restored the yaml automation files and they are now available as downloadable files on the blog!

Happy automating! :blue_heart:

2 Likes

Perfect! :heart_eyes: Thank you very much.

All the best for the future and thanks again for the automations and blueprints. Great work!

Hi, thanks for the blueprint.

But I can’t get the double tap working. I see that the counter only increases to 1 and as soon as I release a button it resets to 0.

Do I need to configure something for this?

Are you using the deconz or Z2M blueprint?
and can you specify what exactly you have configured and what you are doing?

I did some quick tests and the only way I can reproduce the error is when I go really fast on the keys by pressing singles at an intermediate pace and then end with a quick double tap.

We’ve configured the waiting time for a second press on 0,25s (based on our preference for a nice cadence of the double tap and not having to wait for too long to trigger the single press action (and give you the impression that the click did not register).

Only thing I can think of is that the number of automations running in parallel catch up on each other and accidentally reset the counter right in between your two double presses…

I use Z2M blueprint.

I have configured 2 helpers.

What I see is, in the counter helper, that as soon as I release the button, the counter resets to 0. If I hold it, after 1 second it resets to 0.

So I assume there is some issue with the release, that’s why it never reaches to >1.

Is your last pressed helper working as expected? What version of Home Assistant and Zigbee2MQTT are you running? Both counter and input text helpers look exactly in the blog as in Home Assistant 2024.2.5.

Yes, I see the last button pressed there.

HA:

• Core2024.2.5
  • Supervisor2024.02.0
  • Operating System8.5
  • Frontend20240207.1

Zigbee2MQTT
Current version: 1.35.3-1

Hm, thats strange that in my version it looks different. I don’t have the “step size” for instance with the counter, as you can see in my screenshot.

Can you try and re-create it?

Tried, but still no luck :frowning:

It’s so strange that on my side it looks different when creating a counter:

This is odd, but the step value shouldn’t matter, as it defaults to 1: Counter - Home Assistant. Still not sure what is causing your issue. Is anyone else seeing this problem?

Is there a way to debug this? To see which actions trigger the counter?
Because I still assume that it also triggers on button release. Like mentioned before, if I hold the button it stays on 1 for 1 second. So it does count, but as soon as I release it resets to 0.

Can you share the MQTT topic value when you release the button?

Debug <small>2024-02-29 21:45:32</small>`Received Zigbee message from 'Tap dial switch', type 'commandHueNotification', cluster 'manuSpecificPhilips', data '{"button":4,"time":0,"type":0,"unknown1":3145728,"unknown2":0}' from endpoint 1 with groupID null`

Info <small>2024-02-29 21:45:32</small>`MQTT publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/Tap dial switch', payload '{"action":"button_4_press","action_direction":null,"action_time":null,"action_type":null,"battery":100,"linkquality":255,"update":{"installed_version":33569561,"latest_version":33569561,"state":"idle"},"update_available":false}'`

Info <small>2024-02-29 21:45:32</small>`MQTT publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/Tap dial switch', payload '{"action":"","action_direction":null,"action_time":null,"action_type":null,"battery":100,"linkquality":255,"update":{"installed_version":33569561,"latest_version":33569561,"state":"idle"},"update_available":false}'`

Info <small>2024-02-29 21:45:32</small>`MQTT publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/Tap dial switch/action', payload 'button_4_press'`

Debug <small>2024-02-29 21:45:32</small>`Received Zigbee message from 'Tap dial switch', type 'commandHueNotification', cluster 'manuSpecificPhilips', data '{"button":4,"time":1,"type":2,"unknown1":3145728,"unknown2":0}' from endpoint 1 with groupID null`

Info <small>2024-02-29 21:45:32</small>`MQTT publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/Tap dial switch', payload '{"action":"button_4_press_release","action_direction":null,"action_time":null,"action_type":null,"battery":100,"linkquality":255,"update":{"installed_version":33569561,"latest_version":33569561,"state":"idle"},"update_available":false}'`

Info <small>2024-02-29 21:45:32</small>`MQTT publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/Tap dial switch', payload '{"action":"","action_direction":null,"action_time":null,"action_type":null,"battery":100,"linkquality":255,"update":{"installed_version":33569561,"latest_version":33569561,"state":"idle"},"update_available":false}'`

Info <small>2024-02-29 21:45:32</small>`MQTT publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/Tap dial switch/action', payload 'button_4_press_release'`

Ah, we found it… your Z2M clears the action (see the 3rd message).

Info 2024-02-29 21:45:32MQTT publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/Tap dial switch', payload '{"action":"","action_direction":null,"action_time":null,"action_type":null,"battery":100,"linkquality":255,"update":{"installed_version":33569561,"latest_version":33569561,"state":"idle"},"update_available":false}'

This behavior happens when you enable the “Home Assistant Legacy Entity Attributes” option in Z2M

We might have resolved this. Can you please reload the blueprint and test?

Great! It works now :slight_smile:

Many thanks for looking into this and solving it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the great blueprint. That’s exactly what I was looking for. Does the rotary wheel only have a function when a button is pressed or can it also be configured so that it controls the volume of my music system without pressing a button?